TraverseForum.com
Bookmark and Share
October 22, 2014, 11:23:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out our new iPhone, Android & Blackberry App! More info

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
This topic has not yet been rated!
You have not rated this topic. Select a rating:
Author Topic: Adding a Bluetooth Module  (Read 11850 times)
dennisjm70

View Profile
« on: May 03, 2009, 11:15:07 PM »

Hi there!
I just got my 2009 LT1.  Unfortunately it doesn't have Bluetooth, but it is something I really want to add.  I was wondering if it is possible to buy a Bluetooth module that comes from a wrecked LTZ and just plug it into my car?  Does anyone know if that will work?
Thank you!
Laf904

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 01:43:03 PM »

I am also very interested in adding a bluetooth module to my 1LT Traverse.

Daniel.

2009 Chevrolet Traverse 1LT FWD - Black Granite Metallic
rbarrios
Traverse GOD!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 02:06:48 PM »

very interesting question.
I wonder if any more software updates would have to be done since the vehicles radio gets involved with playing the sound.

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    27,000
2010 Traverse 3.6L-    84,000
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-173,000
sponge

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 03:52:37 PM »

I believe the bluetooth module is just a different on-star box that you would need to install. I'm not sure how you would associate a different on-star S/N with your car. It doesn't actually play through your radio, but it does play through your speakers. Do you have radio controls on your steering wheel? You need them. FWIW, the bluetooth works very well. I have it in my '09 Acadia. I used it for a couple of weeks, but installed an after market navigation system with bluetooth, so I no longer use it. You can't download your mobile phone's phonebook to it, but because you are teaching the names, the voice recognition is excellent. All in all I thought the implementation was very good, and extremely easy to use.
Laf904

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 04:15:33 PM »

I do have radio controls on the stearing wheel. That confused my sales rep in telling me that I had the Bluetooth option on my 1LT Traverse.

I called the service dept. at my dealer and the guy was clueless. I had some doubt about his knowledge when he was not even able to tell me the difference between a 1LT, a 2LT and a LTZ Traverse.

Anyway, if it is a question of only replacing a module, then it should not be difficult and I should be able to do it myself.

I only need to know which module it is.

Daniel.

2009 Chevrolet Traverse 1LT FWD - Black Granite Metallic
rbarrios
Traverse GOD!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 05:33:43 PM »

I hate it when the salesmen dont know the product theyre selling.
Thats why I do my own research on the vehicles.
Sometimes I ask a questions that I already know the answer to... that gives me a good idea of his knowledge

Kemosabe

"Stay thirsty my friends - don't drink and drive!"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 02:11:39 PM »

Still very good questions without answers!!  I just bought a 2010 LT1 without OnStar or, apparently, Bluetooth!  Do I have to have OnStar to add Bluetooth capability??  I do have the sterring wheel controls.  The one I thought was for Bluetooth only mutes the radio!!!!!  I press it (right side of steering wheel, and the radio mutes - it does not "say" anything!!

I would REALLY appreciate some technical help with this!!

Thanks!
rbarrios
Traverse GOD!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 02:23:49 PM »

It sounds like you bought an EX-Rental Traverse.
Vehicles built for rental companies (and govt) will usually have Onstar, Bluetooth, XM deleted when built.
Look in your glovebox for these codes on the decal

U2J XM Radio, delete 1 - Requires Fleet or Government order types. Requires (UE0) OnStar delete.

UE0 OnStar, delete 1 - Requires Fleet or Government type orders only. Whenever selected (U2J) must be included to delete (U2K) XM Radio. Not available with (ZQ2) Fleet Driver Convenience Package or (PDC) Bluetooth connectivity for phone.
 2 - Requires Fleet or Government type orders only. Whenever selected (U2J) must be included to delete (U2K) XM Radio. Not available with (PDD) Personal Connectivity Package.

chances are you are missing this code from your decal
PDC -NEW! Bluetooth Connectivity for Phone, includes(UPF) Bluetooth for phone and (NP5) leather-wrappedsteering wheel with redundant audio controls
1 - Not available with Fleet or Government order types.Requires (UE1) OnStar.

The easiest option is probably to get the PARROT bluetooth kit-- someone on here has this system.

rbarrios
Traverse GOD!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 03:10:41 PM »

read this thread. especially towards the end. Big blue Traverse added the parrot kit to his car.

http://www.traverseforum.com/index.php?topic=1334.0

Chevrolet Customer Svc
Traverse Freak

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 03:59:55 PM »

Dear Kemosabe,

I have looked at the OnStar site.  There is a new product that is called OnStar FMV (For My Vehicle).  On this site you can find out if this product is compatible with your vehicle.  Here is the link to see if your vehicle is compatible with this: http://www.onstar.com/web/fmv/vehicle-compatibility?panel=1

If the above link does not work, you just have to visit www.onstar.com.  The home page has this product information that you can click on and get to the page to find out if your vehicle is on this list.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
rbarrios
Traverse GOD!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 04:22:35 PM »

actually hes NOT interested in Onstar.
He wants to know if he can add the Bluetooth capability WITHOUT having to add Onstar.

Kemosabe

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 03:53:18 AM »

Yep - don't really need/not really interested in full OnStar pack, just good BlueTooth capability.  My guess is that if I do get the OnStar FMV, it probably comes with a requirement for OnStar subscription, although I couldn't find that on the website.

Thanks for all answers.

ps - I think my CarMax salesman also thought it had BlueTooth.  A bit of a surprise for me, but I REALLY liked the Traverse!
rbarrios
Traverse GOD!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 11:51:46 AM »

at least your Carmax salesman isnt a Chevy Saleman...
As weve had posters say CHEVY salesmen told themthey had BT- when it didnt.

DSparrow

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2011, 04:13:19 PM »

You do not need an OnStar subscription if your vehicle is equipped with OnStar. I do agree with rbarrios on adding a PARROT bluetooth kit. It is the easiest way to add Bluetooth. I added one to my wife’s old Jetta. I hope this helps.

Driving: 2011 Traverse LS, Cyber Gray, FWD, 8 passenger, Tow Package, Bluetooth

Central Texas
Kemosabe

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 06:55:12 PM »

Currently No OnStar, No XM, No Bluetooth!!   Sad

Would LIKE to have Sirius and Bluetooth!!

How difficult would it be to replace current radio (AM/FM Single CD) with an OEM radio with AM/FM Single (or multiple) CD, USB and XM???  I can then convert XM to SIRIUS since I'm already a Sirius subscriber and prefer it to XM.  Maybe I can add Bluetooth to that package!

I DO have redundant steering wheel controls!!!!

I would think it would be a plug and play switch - but NOTHING seems to be that simple anymore!!!
ls973800

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2011, 09:38:55 PM »

Kemosabe, rbarrios had posted some RPO numbers for you to check in the glove box area to see if you have XM delete and OnStar delete, which is common on fleet rental vehicles and other special ordered vehicles when new.  Have you checked those yet?  Do you know for SURE you have those items deleted?

If so, the XM "brains" I believe are in a module located in the rear cargo area.  You would need to install one of those to incorporate with your radio to get XM to work.  The radio is only a control unit, not a self contained XM receiver.  Find those codes that were given to you and let us know.  You can also find the radio you now have, it's usually an RPO number which starts with "U".  This will let you know if it will control the XM or has to be replaced.

As for connecting Sirius, I was just reading a post the other day about someone converting their XM over to Sirius.  I believe they had to replace the XM box in the rear with a Sirius one and connect them together with a special antenna connector since XM and Sirius use different type antennas. Search the different forums and you should be able to find more information about adding Sirius

2010 Summit White Traverse LTZ,  SOLD 4/2012
2015 Traverse 2LT Siren Red Tintcoat-36 Month Lease
Kemosabe

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2011, 10:01:37 PM »

In looking at my "Build sheet", it says "U2J - XM Satellite Radio Delete ", "UEO - OnStar / Bluetooth Delete  ",  "UK3 - Control Steering Wheel, Accessory", "UQF - Audio System Feature, 6-Speaker System", US8 - Audio System Feature, AM/FM Stereo W/MP3 Compatible CD Player".

What I would like to have is a factory radio with XM or (XM READY), Bluetooth, USB, and if possible, a multi CD player as on my '05 Silverado! Do I understand you saying that my current radio IS XM ready, needing only the XM (or Sirius) Module???

If I have to prioritize, my choices are - Satellite, Bluetooth, USB, Multi-Disk.  If I can have Bluetooth without OnStar - NOT a problemo!! As a matter of fact, let's leave OnStar out of the discussion at this point.

THANKS!!
ls973800

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2011, 10:19:05 PM »

Do I understand you saying that my current radio IS XM ready, needing only the XM (or Sirius) Module???

Sorry if I created any confusion when I said your radio RPO code should have the letter "U".  Almost all radios/entertainment centers begin with "U", regardless if they are XM ready or not.  You would have to research your specific code to learn if it is XM ready.  Being that you most definitely do have the XM delete, I doubt very highly that your radio is XM ready.

ls973800

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2011, 10:38:36 PM »

US8 for a 2011 Traverse should be part number 20935116, which from what I have found is XM ready.  This is just information I found based on some ads on ebay.  You will have to verify if yours is XM ready, probable from a GM dealer.

Kemosabe

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2011, 11:20:30 PM »

My current AM/FM has the "Cat" button on the right side.  This, I understand, is for Category, but also indicates that it is XM ready or capable.  If its XM ready - it should be Sirius ready as well???
Pages: [1]   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories