TraverseForum.com
Bookmark and Share
April 19, 2014, 11:09:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for something smaller than the Traverse? Check out the all new Chevy Equinox at http://www.EquinoxForum.net

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
This topic has not yet been rated!
You have not rated this topic. Select a rating:
Author Topic: LED Bulbs for Headlight and Driving Lights.  (Read 4490 times)
VibrantRedGT

View Profile
« on: April 23, 2013, 08:18:05 AM »

I'm changing all the exterior and interior bulbs to LED.  I've already purchased a few for the rear.  I need to do the front of the vehicle.  Without taking the front end apart first.

I did a search on eBay and came up with this.  However I'm not certain which ones are which.  Maybe someone who's done this before points me in the right direction.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=chevy+traverse+2012+led+headlight+bulbs&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0&_nkw=chevy+traverse+2012+led+headlight+bulb&_sacat=0

Writer for www.iRacing.com & www.Stangnet.com

iRacing is a Auto Racing Siimulator service.  Race with people all over the world in your own home!

Stangnet is a Mustang forum website.
VibrantRedGT

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 11:16:56 AM »

Are these the fog / driving lights I need?  I'm looking for someone who's change headlight or driving light bulbs.  I haven't been in there yet so I don't know what connectors are which.

I gotta believe these are correct driving / fog lights though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-H11-H8-68-SMD-LED-Super-White-Fog-Headlight-Driving-Running-Light-Lamp-Bulb-/160882926453?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2012%7CMake%3AChevrolet%7CModel%3ATraverse&hash=item25755ea375&vxp=mtr

iRacing is a Auto Racing Siimulator service.  Race with people all over the world in your own home!

Rocky

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 01:17:48 PM »

Lets do this the easy way. No LED headlight bulbs. Check the link for other bulbs.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/led-vehicle-replacement-bulbs/vehicle/2012-chevrolet-traverse--/11-1088--/
VibrantRedGT

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 01:28:09 PM »

Well I ordered every LED replacement bulb I could find- Reverse lights, Tail Lights, License Plate, Dome, Map.  All I need is the running lights and side markers.

Mikedezzy!

keep moddin' my friends (◣_◢)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 02:51:26 PM »

Well I ordered every LED replacement bulb I could find- Reverse lights, Tail Lights, License Plate, Dome, Map.  All I need is the running lights and side markers.

What year model do you have?

I hope you didnt do the headlights. you will get no visibilty out of them.

If you have a 2012 or earlier you need a 3157 for the front blinker / running light.

here is a link for all bulb replacements ~ just put in make a model.
http://www.sylvania.com/en-us/applications/automotive-lighting-systems/Pages/lrgmain.aspx

also, you should check out what i did to the front of mine.

http://www.traverseforum.com/index.php?topic=3206.0

U can keep up with the Jones' but I don't think U can keep up with "The Deezy"! BOXERPAW99
Debadged, black bowtie, 5000k hids, Switchback led parking lights, LED reverse lights, hyper white led interior, weathertech vent visors, pioneer touchscreen, 250w kicker amp shallow 8" CVT, reverse cam & mor
Mikedezzy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 03:01:52 PM »

If it is a 2012 like mine it will be 194- ambers for the front side markers too.

U can keep up with the Jones' but I don't think U can keep up with "The Deezy"! BOXERPAW99
Debadged, black bowtie, 5000k hids, Switchback led parking lights, LED reverse lights, hyper white led interior, weathertech vent visors, pioneer touchscreen, 250w kicker amp shallow 8" CVT, reverse cam & mor
VibrantRedGT

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 08:03:12 AM »

Mine is a 2012.  Haven't purchased any LED's for the front of the vehicle, so far just the rear.  I don't want to do the low beam head lights.  Just want to change the running light bulbs to LED's. 

Mikedezzy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 09:02:40 AM »

Mine is a 2012.  Haven't purchased any LED's for the front of the vehicle, so far just the rear.  I don't want to do the low beam head lights.  Just want to change the running light bulbs to LED's. 

Check out this post..

http://www.traverseforum.com/index.php?topic=3206.0

VibrantRedGT

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 09:58:49 AM »

Mike, why does it need resistor?  LED lights don't generate heat at all.

You mentioned where to get the running bulbs from at the end of the video, can you provide the link in this thread?  I'm ready to purchase today.  I like how they switch from turning yellow light to running white light, pretty cool.

Stevie335

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 10:35:42 AM »

Mike, why does it need resistor?  LED lights don't generate heat at all.

The resistor has nothing to do with heat.  The LED does not have a filament so the vehicle's computer would think that the lamp is blown if you install an LED.  The resistor mimics the filament.

2012 BMW X5 Msport 50i Stage 2.  0-60 4.2 secs.
2011 VW GTI DSG - best run 13.8@104
2008 Chevy Equinox LS - daughter's first car.
VibrantRedGT

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 12:02:18 PM »

Ah, I understand.

I found the LED 3157 Switchback's on eBay but the ad says I'll need to by the resistors.  If someone can post a link to buy everything I'll order them today.

Mikedezzy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 04:57:17 PM »

Ah, I understand.

I found the LED 3157 Switchback's on eBay but the ad says I'll need to by the resistors.  If someone can post a link to buy everything I'll order them today.

Here ya go bro... Ill help ya out.

The LEDS

http://www.vleds.com/bulb/3157-3156-led/switchback-led/6k-white-amber-dual-color-type-2-changing-switchback-92-turn-signal-bulbs-3157-3157na-3357-3457-4157-4057-1-pair.html

The resistors ~ get the 6 OHM 50W 2 BULB LOAD EQUALIZER RESISTORS

http://www.vleds.com/resistors/led-load-equalizer-resistors-turn-signal-blinker-fix-1-pair.html

The T-Taps you will need for tapping in your resistors

http://www.vleds.com/resistors/3m-scotchlok-moisture-resistant-gel-filled-connectors-804-wire-splice-vampire-taps.html

I have switchbacks on my charger as well.. If you check out my youtube page I have a quick look at the resistors i installed on my 2013 charger and they install basically the same way.

youtube.com/user/themikedezzy

greentraverse

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 07:40:48 PM »

LEDs draw so little current that the BCM thinks the bulb is burned out.  The resistor creates another path to pull the extra current needed to fool the BCM.
VibrantRedGT

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 08:45:55 PM »

Thanks for the links.  I found both on eBay too.  It's $22.29 for the 3157 LED switchbacks and $4 each resistor.  Think I'll order this next week.  It's already been an expensive week. I bought chrome step / running bars, a bunch of LED replacement bulbs for the rear of the car, black Chevy badges, billet license plate holder, leather steering wheel wrap and on Saturday getting the door windows tinted to match.  Oh, I want to Install the drop in K&N air filter too.  Didn't think I'd get into modding a truck but I like the Traverse.

Mikedezzy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2013, 08:55:10 AM »

Thanks for the links.  I found both on eBay too.  It's $22.29 for the 3157 LED switchbacks and $4 each resistor.  Think I'll order this next week.  It's already been an expensive week. I bought chrome step / running bars, a bunch of LED replacement bulbs for the rear of the car, black Chevy badges, billet license plate holder, leather steering wheel wrap and on Saturday getting the door windows tinted to match.  Oh, I want to Install the drop in K&N air filter too.  Didn't think I'd get into modding a truck but I like the Traverse.

Awesome.... Keep up the modding  Cheers

I hope the switchbacks you purchased from ebay works. I am a huge ebay supporter. I purchase nearly everything from ebay but i purchased a bad set of 3157 Switchbacks for my 2007 tundra. I put one in and it immediately  popped a fuse. I took that one out, replaced the fuse and tried the other buld on the opposite side and the amber wokred i thought i was in business and then i cut on my parking lamps for WHITE mode and it popped a fuse again.

When these work be sure to post up some pics of all your LED work in this thread. Its going to look awesome.

VibrantRedGT

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2013, 09:11:18 AM »

Well the same company I just purchased the Reverse LED's and License Plate LED's from make the switchbacks.  So if these work out for me I'll be more inclined to buy the switchbacks from them next week.

Mike, do you know how the license plate bulbs come out?  Just posted a thread about it.  I know, I can rebuild a motor in no time but can't change light bulbs. confused  Also, did you change the stock air filter to an aftermarket one?  I want to get the K&N because it won't void the warranty and it will increase fuel economy.  They are $51 shipped on eBay.  I'm also an eBay fanatic because of "eBay Buyer Protection".  If you're not pleased with something you can return it with no charge to you.  Plus with PayPal they are real good about helping with fraud unlike if you buy from an untrusted person / website.

Mikedezzy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2013, 10:23:16 AM »

Well the same company I just purchased the Reverse LED's and License Plate LED's from make the switchbacks.  So if these work out for me I'll be more inclined to buy the switchbacks from them next week.

Mike, do you know how the license plate bulbs come out?  Just posted a thread about it.  I know, I can rebuild a motor in no time but can't change light bulbs. confused  Also, did you change the stock air filter to an aftermarket one?  I want to get the K&N because it won't void the warranty and it will increase fuel economy.  They are $51 shipped on eBay.  I'm also an eBay fanatic because of "eBay Buyer Protection".  If you're not pleased with something you can return it with no charge to you.  Plus with PayPal they are real good about helping with fraud unlike if you buy from an untrusted person / website.

The license plate lights are simple.. Grab the sides of the entire housings and with your fingertips squeeze in and pull vehicle side of the housing outward and the whole housing comes out. then simply twist the bulb out. it is only held in by tabs. you will see how easy it is.. i started out on the ground coming from underneath and then soon realized it pops right out...

Also, i hope you got a single SMD like this one.

and not like this

I had a bunch of this type since I bought extra for my interior and found that they won't fit in the license plate light housings. The top picture will since it is a single low profile 5050 SMD (supre bright for just 1) Those are what i have running in our traverse

Mikedezzy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2013, 10:28:32 AM »

Also, No i didnt do a drop in filter. I have never been able to justify a expensive drop in. Now i have put new cold air intakes on my past 4 vehicles. 03 tundra, 05 silverado crew cab, 2007 tundra crewmax, 2013 charger. I am holding out to either custom make a fender intake on the traverse or hoping maybe one day a major brand will make a CAI for the traverse.

VibrantRedGT

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2013, 10:40:33 AM »

The ones I bought are like that single one you posted.  Instead of 1 bulb it has 6 small ones but it's shaped like the stock one.

Here, this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380533441928?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Mikedezzy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2013, 10:45:43 AM »

The ones I bought are like that single one you posted.  Instead of 1 bulb it has 6 small ones but it's shaped like the stock one.

Here, this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380533441928?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Awesome. Those will fit perfect!!!! Good pick... I wonder what the brightness difference will be between your 6 smd leds and my (1) large 5050 smd led. Cant wait to see pics Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories