TraverseForum.com
Bookmark and Share
July 23, 2014, 03:58:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Search all 4 Lambda Forums at once with the "Super Search" box! Click search in the top nav bar to find it.

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
This topic has not yet been rated!
You have not rated this topic. Select a rating:
Author Topic: Broke my driver-side mirror glass today  (Read 8106 times)
lxc

View Profile
« on: April 17, 2009, 02:31:26 PM »

I was backing the Traverse out of our garage this morning and my wife was standing just outside of garage door.  I was looking at her and forgot paying attention to the driver side-mirror.  The mirror housing just hit enough on the door trim that the glass insert popped out and landed on the concrete floor.  End result is I have a mirror that looks like a spider-web.  I am able to reattach the glass insert back into the housing and the motor worked...

Called the dealership and got a quote of $53 (mirror glass w/ plastic back plate).  The mirror is on back order and no time estimate when I'll pick it up.
rbarrios
Traverse GOD!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 03:43:18 PM »

it has been baptized so to speak.

reminds me of when I was a kid and had some brand new white tennis shoes--- you know you take care so they dont get dirty...
well some girl walked up and stepped on one of the shoes.... left her shoe print and said--- its baptized.

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    23,000
2010 Traverse 3.6L-    80,000
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-173,000
guapo

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 04:46:10 PM »

My last 3 vehicles we have had all hit by someone within the first 6 months of getting.  1.  My 2003 Mazda  3 someone backed into it and drove off. 2. My wifes 2005  trailblazer someone hit it at a stopsign. 3. My 2006  Chevy Impala someone drove a ATV into the back of it. 

We currently have the Traverse (no damage yet) and my 2007 Tundra (no damage yet)  I hope it stays that way.   Bang Head

09 Traverse: Black, LT2, w/step assist bars, Captains Chairs, remote Start, Blue tooth, Tinted front windows, Backup Camera
07 Tundra, Mica Green
98 Accord, Bright Blue
sonny320

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 06:09:51 PM »

I know the feeling. First month after getting Traverse, had only 400 miles. Was behind truck on highway, heard loud noise around front of car. Next morning found chip on windshield, just happened to be on driver's side...does stink but at least your's is a reasonable cost replacement. Took it to couple of windshield places, all said it's a minor chip, nothing they could do but since it's in my "line of view" while driving they could replace the whole windshield. Insurance will cover but I have $500.00 deductible. Also I'm somewhat worried about replacing considering other possible issues (leaks, compass issues, etc.). Not sure if rewards out weigh the risks.  Has anyone sucessfully replaced windshield?
guapo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 07:04:43 AM »

Sonny,
That really sucks, Here in Fl if we need a new windshield the Ins pays and their is no cost to the owner not even a deductable.

09 Traverse: Black, LT2, w/step assist bars, Captains Chairs, remote Start, Blue tooth, Tinted front windows, Backup Camera
07 Tundra, Mica Green
98 Accord, Bright Blue
Rick662

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 08:17:17 AM »

After taking delivery on our new Traverse I had to make a trip to replace the windshield in our Infiniti FX 35 before turning it in at the end of the lease. When I discovered the price of the FX windshield $1,200, Bang Head I priced the cost of the Traverse that was only $297 installed, Much better thumbs up Unfortunately in NJ a windshield is a wear item like brakes, with dump trucks and trailers depositing their material on the roads because they don't cover their loads our cars get sandblasted daily. And to top it off NJ just raised minimum deductibles on insurance to $750 ( wish we had Florida rules).

1966 ChevyII - 2006 K1500 Crew cab Silverado (mine) 2012 Chevy Cruze LTZ/RS (Gas saver)
1972 MGB -  2009 Traverse Granite Black LTZ AWD with eveything (Hers)
sonny320

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 10:43:21 AM »

Hey Rick,

Thanks for the info...thought cost will be higher.  Might look into it.  Just afraid if I should replace, my luck I'll get another chip. Guess can't worry.
danthechevyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 10:48:16 AM »

Has the chip spread? Check into chip repair we have a guy who does a great job usually when he is done you can't see the repair, also many insurance companies will pick up the tab for chip repair.  Just a thought. 

09 White Traverse LTZ with Tow Package
02 Blue Avalanche
08 SeaDoo Wake 155
sonny320

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 02:11:06 PM »

No, hasn't spread. I did have a couple chips repaired on my previous auto. Insurance used to pay 100% but now they won't pay until deductible has been met. Thanks for the respond.
DuayneD

I always drink (coffee) and drive.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 06:05:05 PM »

oooooh this is a scary, scary thread.  >Cheesy

I have two -- two! -- teens itching to learn to drive  blob (one reason we're getting a new car with automatic tranny, instead of the sticks in both our cars now).

The thought of when -- not if -- they have their first fender-bender, or just drive over a shopping cart in the store parking lot, is not something I want to think about!  Oh No

'09 Stormy Blue Mazda CX-9 (just missed getting a Traverse by that much)
'03 black Camry
'99 white Hyundai Sonata
03 kids, 00 dogs
guapo

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 10:15:56 AM »

DuayneD,

Your going to teach them in the Traverse.  At least it is a good safe vehicle. Do you remember what you did in your Mom and Dads car when they let you take it to the store to get something small like milk and the time it took (more than needed).  I remember doing burnouts in my moms 1969 225 buick eletrica and her 1974 Plymouth Gold Duster boy I dont look forward to my son learning to drive.  He's only 9 but I have a 1998 Honda Accord that he will learn on and if he wrecks it or blowes it up that not so bad. 

So have you bought one Grin wink Yet looking to see the first picts.   

07 Tundra, Mica Green
98 Accord, Bright Blue
09Enclave

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 02:12:59 PM »

Along the lines of a vehicle being damaged soon after it's purchased; my first brand new car, a 95 Pontiac Sunfire, I had 3 weeks, and came out after it was parked, and a huge dent, in the rear quarter panal was there....no scratches, looked like someone just kicked it in...I was furious!  flaming mad  But, after that, we've been pretty lucky with our other vehicles, knock on wood.  Our 2004 Bonneville, which we also purchased new, is just paid off, and someone scraped the bumper while it was parked, but luckily I was able to get most of it rubbed out.  So, I guess that's our new thing....once the vehicle gets paid off...watch out!  It doesn't have any other marks, or door dings, pretty much perfect for a 5 year old ride.  If it works out, and it lasts, we will keep that for our oldest daughter to learn on....she's only 6 now, but the Bonneville will be 14 years old when she starts driving, so hopefully we can squeeze that much life out of it.

As for our Enclave, I'm very nervous everytime we park, especially because it doesn't have door moldings (should have got a Traverse...right?  :Smiley )  Eventhough it's a very safe vehicle, I wouldn't want a teen learning on it...just too big.  Our 2nd daughter will hopefully get her grandparent's 08 Impala...again...if all works out.  Hard to plan stuff this far ahead, but that's our goal anyway.  I really don't want to buy a used car for them that I don't know the history of.  Plus, don't want to buy a new car until at least their second vehicle.

2009 Enclave CX, FWD, Silver Green, Ebony cloth, 8-passenger, Driver's confidence pk, tow pk.
DuayneD

I always drink (coffee) and drive.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 12:02:31 AM »

DuayneD,

Your going to teach them in the Traverse.  At least it is a good safe vehicle.

So have you bought one Grin wink Yet looking to see the first picts.   

Unfortunately, I have to agree with Mr. 09Enclave, that the Lambdas are not the best choice for training brand-new drivers. 

So now the idea of teaching my son and daughter to learn to drive is one of the things making me lean toward the CX-9 a little more. It's just as safe as the Traverse, but is a lot easier to handle on narrower streets and parking.

Oh, and to add my own messing up a new car story:
My first brand-new car was a '76 Honda Accord Hatchback. Within the first year I was in two accidents. One guy ran a stop sign and hit my rear right quarter panel (I was lucky I didn't get fatally T-boned.)
Another person pulled out of a strip mall parking area right in front of me as I was passing by on a major road.
Even so, that baby lasted a good 10 years. Until I brought her to New York. lol

'09 Stormy Blue Mazda CX-9 (just missed getting a Traverse by that much)
'03 black Camry
'99 white Hyundai Sonata
03 kids, 00 dogs
Narg

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2009, 01:13:25 PM »

My Trav got sorta baptised this week.  I drove through some freshly painted road lines.  Got white paint all over the lower black guards.  Sad
lxc

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 09:59:41 AM »

Well, it is all fixed.  Picked up the new replacement side mirror glass and installed myself this weekend.  No tool whatsoever.
Narg

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2009, 09:17:38 AM »

Sonny,
That really sucks, Here in Fl if we need a new windshield the Ins pays and their is no cost to the owner not even a deductable.

I believe that's a standard thing in most auto insurance policies anywhere.  They've found that less wrecks happen if the driver's view is unobstructed, so a little money now saves a lot of money later.
mgoblue2

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2010, 09:12:44 AM »

Well, it is all fixed.  Picked up the new replacement side mirror glass and installed myself this weekend.  No tool whatsoever.

Do they just pop in and out. On my yuon I can use a screw driver in the center and just pop out, was wondering if its the same on the traverse?
lxc

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2010, 11:02:55 AM »

Do they just pop in and out. On my yuon I can use a screw driver in the center and just pop out, was wondering if its the same on the traverse?

I remembered using the power mirror switch to tilt the mirror all the way inward to give me enough clearance to see inside the housing.  No sure if I used a screw driver, I think I pulled out the glass and the plastic backing with my fingers.
miknor

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2010, 08:04:20 PM »

Some auto glass company's have the glass for a select few vehicles.  Could be a little cheaper than the dealer.  Being the traverse is so new to they may not have it. 
derekinoman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010, 05:05:02 AM »

I live in Oman and clattered my drivers side mirror on a road works sign one evening, car then was a 2006 Yukon, dealer charged 270 OMR, ($715.5)!! that was after discount...he started at 370 OMR, this was for the mirror glass only, albeit it has the built in signal light, night dimming etc, at least petrol is very cheap here, about 40 cents a litre, i'm scottish and we pay over 1 UK pound per litre there, about 6 times higher that here...
Pages: [1]   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories