TraverseForum.com
Bookmark and Share
September 01, 2014, 04:58:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out our new iPhone, Android & Blackberry App! More info

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
This topic has not yet been rated!
You have not rated this topic. Select a rating:
Author Topic: Radio issue in 2013 Traverse  (Read 5204 times)
splicer480

View Profile
« on: April 20, 2013, 09:57:15 AM »

My new Traverse's radio is acting weird. The bass will fade in and out during songs. It is not like it is there and then suddenly gone. It slowly fades down then back up. I really notice it using the aux port with my iphone. Im going to try a cd and see if there is a difference that way or not. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue.
BigBlackTraverse
Traverse Freak

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 02:25:59 PM »

Is the volume speed compinsation turned on. It varies the radio volume based on your speed. I shut this off as its annoying.

2013 Traverse FWD LT1  Black Granite
               All-Star Edition.
splicer480

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 03:19:51 PM »

Thanks for the reply.

No its not on. It bothers me too when I slow down and the volume drops. I plugged my iphone in the usb port and the bass is fine. When it is in the aux port it fades the bass. Playing regular or XM radio is fine also. Just the aux port does it.

Also when I'm driving with onstar voice nav I can barely hear the announcements and I have the voice turned all the way up. I'll have to mention these findings the next time I take it to the dealer.
bobg1951chevy
Traverse Freak

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 03:45:00 PM »

Thanks for the reply.

No its not on. It bothers me too when I slow down and the volume drops. I plugged my iphone in the usb port and the bass is fine. When it is in the aux port it fades the bass. Playing regular or XM radio is fine also. Just the aux port does it.

Also when I'm driving with onstar voice nav I can barely hear the announcements and I have the voice turned all the way up. I'll have to mention these findings the next time I take it to the dealer.

As stated, sounds like your volume drop on decel = volume speed compensator "on". Pg. 7-52 of the 2013 owners manual.

2009 Silver Ice LS FWD
Built 6/3/09
1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 dr.
Built 7/1951  
www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/21579056

"Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like" .... Will Rogers
BigBlackTraverse
Traverse Freak

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 04:15:33 PM »

No base issues on mine.. I have found a bug with the mylink. If my iPhone is connect only I answer the phone with the slider on the phone after you hang up the radio will not un-mute the acts weird..  You can't even shut it off. 

It started to work after the Traverse had been shut off for over 10 minutes.

I was getting ready to pull the fuse.

All-Star Edition.
Mrocster

=========

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 09:40:12 PM »

My new Traverse's radio is acting weird. The bass will fade in and out during songs. It is not like it is there and then suddenly gone. It slowly fades down then back up. I really notice it using the aux port with my iphone. Im going to try a cd and see if there is a difference that way or not. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue.

I had this annoying problem in my work truck!   Why's it fading in and out I kept asking myself?   When I was at the apple store I happened to mention this to the salesman and he sold me an apple auxiliary wire that's dertacts as well for 3 times the price that my previous one cost me, then voilla no more problem!

Try purchasing a different auxiliary wire, even if the one you have is "good" and see if that works for you.   And besides if it does not work you can always return it and get your money back.

It did the job for me though.   Good luck!

2010 1LT AWD- Silver Ice Metallic
18" Alloy Rims
Tow Package, Heated Mirrors
7 Passenger Seating, with kids to fill em!!
splicer480

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 08:44:35 PM »

Well after further testing the issue is definitely in the radio. It acts like there is a built in governor. If I take the volume all the way up (45) the radio throttles down some. Then I back it off to 30 and it slowly increases in volume after about 15 seconds to be louder than 45 was. It does this on every source, XM, CD, tuner. It is really noticeable on usb and aux the most. From low volume to volume 20 (about halfway up) everything works great, all sources. As soon as you get to the really sweet spot 25 to 30 for serious jamming it starts that crappy throttling back and forth and is really annoying. Its like as soon as the radio knows the bass is starting to hit pretty good, bang, no bass. I just paid 30 grand for this thing and so far this is my only real complaint. I know I'm probably screwed and they'll tell me it is what it is. But I'm gonna ask anyways.
DVelasco68

dvelasco68 dvelasco68
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 10:22:13 AM »

Not sure if you have the HD radio in your 2013, but if you do, then it could be signal issues...

When the HD is brightly lit, you are getting an HD signal, when not lit, you are just getting an FM Stereo signal...

The difference between the FM Stereo (analog) and FM HD Stereo signal (Digital) is UNBELIEVABLE...

I equate it (the sound difference) like listening to a mono (one speaker) radio your whole life, then hearing stereo for the first time...

The difference is amazing...

2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ FWD (1/4/2013 Build date)
2007 Chevy Trailblazer SS AWD (6/6/2007 Build date)
2002 Chevy Venture WB Edition (Traded in)
2000 Chevy Malibu LS (Retired)
1987 Buick T-Type (In the garage)
rbarrios
Traverse GOD!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 10:33:44 AM »

when you say the volume goes up/down..

Is the vehicle moving? or parked?

You know about the setting for volume compensation based on speed?

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    23,000
2010 Traverse 3.6L-    80,000
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-173,000
ls973800

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 10:56:48 AM »

when you say the volume goes up/down..

Is the vehicle moving? or parked?

You know about the setting for volume compensation based on speed?

That was asked in reply #1, and his answer in reply #2 was that the option for speed compensated volume control was turned off.

2010 Summit White Traverse LTZ, Nav, Sunroof, Rear Entertainment, Towing, Rear Buckets w/Console-Added $3.00 Nav By-Pass, Rearview Mirror W/Compass, Cabin Air Filter, Lights to Homelink Buttons  SOLD 4/2012
rbarrios
Traverse GOD!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 11:13:45 AM »

arrghhh..
thanks.

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    23,000
2010 Traverse 3.6L-    80,000
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-173,000
splicer480

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 09:16:40 AM »

Yes the compensation is turned off. Parked or driving has the same results. It almost seems to me that they paralleled the front dash/pillar speakers and door speakers together at the wrong ohms (probably 2 ohms back to the radio) and as long as you are not cranking too much the radio can handle it. When you start really juicing it thats when the radios output can't handle it and it starts choaking itself back.

I've installed many systems in vehicles and if you don't give the head unit the correct ohms its looking for, your system doesn't perform like it should or you burn up your radio or amplifier.
Rocky

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 12:55:14 AM »

But that is contrary to your earlier post.
You said that the fading was source specific.

That to me says the source is the source (!) of the problem.
Coppertop666

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2013, 01:16:31 PM »

I have a 2012 GTI and a 2010 Golf TDI prior to that and in both cars the radio does the exact same thing - it's almost seems as if the radio has a limiting feature so you cannot blow out the speakers on full volume.  I agree it is annoying at times especially when you want that little extra but according to VW, it is normal and you get used to it quickly.  I also notice this on my bose wave radio at home too... 

I wonder if GM is using something similar for their new touchscreen units (my 2011 is old school so no comparison)??  It's possible that it could be totally normal
splicer480

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2013, 06:01:01 AM »

That's really what it seems like. It sucks though because the volume goes up to 45 and at around 26 which is around halfway up, It starts fading back.
hudson2337

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2013, 11:58:02 AM »

No base issues on mine.. I have found a bug with the mylink. If my iPhone is connect only I answer the phone with the slider on the phone after you hang up the radio will not un-mute the acts weird..  You can't even shut it off. 

It started to work after the Traverse had been shut off for over 10 minutes.

I was getting ready to pull the fuse.

Is there anything else you can do to fix this?  My wife had the same problem yesterday...after she got done with a phone call from in the vehicle, it was like the radio didn't have any volume at all.  We tried to shut the vehicle off and cranked it right after but that did not help...it was only when she tried to make another call and hung up when it snapped back in line and started working.
BigBlackTraverse
Traverse Freak

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2013, 02:52:14 PM »

I had to just shut he Traverse off and let I sit for 20 minutes. The it was all fine.

All-Star Edition.
RWB2035

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2013, 09:59:42 AM »

I have a 2013 1LT with MyLink without navigation. The same thing happens using Bluetooth Pandora with a Samsung Galaxy S3. I was at a good spot in a song so I turned it up. The radio turned it down... I too thought it was the speed compensation, but it wasn't. I assume it's a safety feature of the head unit to save the paper speakers these vehicles come with.
WhippetRun

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2014, 12:54:45 PM »

I have a 2013 1LT with MyLink without navigation. The same thing happens using Bluetooth Pandora with a Samsung Galaxy S3. I was at a good spot in a song so I turned it up. The radio turned it down... I too thought it was the speed compensation, but it wasn't. I assume it's a safety feature of the head unit to save the paper speakers these vehicles come with.

Have you heard anything about this since? Mine does this also, and I can't find anything about it also.
It is like your mother coming in and turning the radio down  Tongue
Pages: [1]   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories