TraverseForum.com
Bookmark and Share
September 19, 2014, 05:48:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out our new iPhone, Android & Blackberry App! More info

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recall - Water Pump Shaft April 4, 2013  (Read 85151 times)
Mrocster

=========

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2013, 09:46:33 PM »

I ordered them from my dealership,  they arrived in 3 days so I put them on today because it was so nice out. FINALLY!!!

Nice !,  where did you get the badges from?
Good to see another Ontario plate on the forum.

2010 1LT AWD- Silver Ice Metallic
18" Alloy Rims
Tow Package, Heated Mirrors
7 Passenger Seating, with kids to fill em!!
Mrocster

=========

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2013, 09:50:29 PM »

I've noticed a couple "pit" marks in 2 of my rims, and I'm still covered "bumper to bumper" so is this how you got yours refinished?

Had my Traverse in to get the rims re-finished due to corrosion.  They performed the "recall" on my Traverse.  Got the letter today in the mail.

18" Alloy Rims
mrw803

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2013, 06:29:35 PM »

FYI:

Jessica at Chevrolet Customer Care has told me that this is NOT a "recall," despite what the dealer wrote on my invoice.

Dealerships will address Customer Satisfaction Programs as "standing recalls" because essentially, they are recalls.  GM doesn't want to call it a recall because then they have to report the recall to all sorts of different agencies and meet certain types of notification deadlines.  Oh yes, and then you have "rights".  These things are expensive so to get around it GM (and other manufacturers) issue Customer Satisfaction Programs, which makes it look that they care about your problem.  And for them, the media doesn't get ahold of it and plaster the business section with "GM RECALLS XXX,XXX CARS". Think about it.  Do you think that GM really wants to replace every water pump under the affected VINs?  This would mean millions of dollars in lost profits. 

Instead, they will have you bring your Traverse to the dealership where the tech will inspect it and add fluid if needed.  GM hopes this will band aid your problem.  If not, they will probably replace your water pump for you.  Mark my words, a few months down the road don't be surprised if you get another letter in the mail telling you that your water pump warranty will be extended to 120k and 7 years, whichever comes first. 

This was the same chain of events for my failed timing chains under GM's "Customer Satisfaction Program".  I recently dumped the car because it was one problem after another.  While I realize that this can happen to any car with any manufacturer, it's definitely not fun when it happens to you.

2009 LS Traverse
Peacock Metallic
Spring Hill November 2008 Production
Timing Chains replaced @ 45K
Mrocster

=========

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2013, 07:26:41 PM »

Thankyou.  There's a thread where I was corrected when I assumed it was a recall and infact it's a
 "customer satisfaction".  To me though it doesn't really matter much as long as they fix the problem.  I've noticed and documented coolant leaks in my driveway for some time now,  and I've got an appointment at the dealership on Monday to try and figure out what's failing and causing the coolant leaks.  I strongly suspect that it is the shaft seal or pump itself that is leaking but unfortunately I will have to wait until Monday to see what the GM certified mechanic finds.

Going forward though if it is the pump I will demand it be repaired while I currently have the "bumper to bumper" warranty.  I will no longer entertain the idea of cleaning my driveway of coolant leaks.

I am trusting that the GM mechanic does find the source of the coolant leak and fixes it properly.  I am also trusting that GM would not simply add fluid to top it off and send mr on my way as I've read some posts on the forum in which that was the case.

I've said in a prior post that I would report back to the forum exactly what work was performed and that's what I intend on doing come Monday. Here's hoping for the best.....

Dealerships will address Customer Satisfaction Programs as "standing recalls" because essentially, they are recalls.  GM doesn't want to call it a recall because then they have to report the recall to all sorts of different agencies and meet certain types of notification deadlines.  Oh yes, and then you have "rights".  These things are expensive so to get around it GM (and other manufacturers) issue Customer Satisfaction Programs, which makes it look that they care about your problem.  And for them, the media doesn't get ahold of it and plaster the business section with "GM RECALLS XXX,XXX CARS". Think about it.  Do you think that GM really wants to replace every water pump under the affected VINs?  This would mean millions of dollars in lost profits. 

Instead, they will have you bring your Traverse to the dealership where the tech will inspect it and add fluid if needed.  GM hopes this will band aid your problem.  If not, they will probably replace your water pump for you.  Mark my words, a few months down the road don't be surprised if you get another letter in the mail telling you that your water pump warranty will be extended to 120k and 7 years, whichever comes first. 

This was the same chain of events for my failed timing chains under GM's "Customer Satisfaction Program".  I recently dumped the car because it was one problem after another.  While I realize that this can happen to any car with any manufacturer, it's definitely not fun when it happens to you.

18" Alloy Rims
Mrocster

=========

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2013, 07:47:19 PM »

In regards to the vehicles affected,  I've been told that it takes about 6 hours to replace the water pump in the Traverse.  I think this is a huge issue not just for the owners of affected faulty water pumps but it must be a huge headache for dealers trying to remedy this mess.  As far as I understand the seal itself cannot be replaced I think GM has to replace the entire pump. (I could be wrong though)

Either way big big big job for them to do.

18" Alloy Rims
Chevrolet Customer Svc
Traverse Freak

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2013, 09:09:52 PM »

Hello mrw803,

I do want to properly address the difference between the customer satisfaction program and a recall.  Though a recall is a safety issue, the customer satisfaction program is designed to enhance the performance of the vehicle.  The only similarity between a recall and a customer satisfaction program is that both are addressed whether you are experiencing the issue or not.  In your post it sounds as though you are referring to a special coverage. A special coverage is addressed only if the vehicle is exhibiting the issue.  It is a component specific extended warranty.  I hope this clears up any confusion.

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

velocity5

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 05, 2013, 12:54:23 AM »

Instead, they will have you bring your Traverse to the dealership where the tech will inspect it and add fluid if needed.  GM hopes this will band aid your problem.  If not, they will probably replace your water pump for you.

Well spoken mrw803. My thoughts exactly!

2013 Traverse LS FWD Silver Ice Metallic
merlin

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 05, 2013, 11:34:51 PM »

well, like Carl_N_Delta, I got this same letter.  It stated that I had to make an appointment and get it repaired by April 30, as that was the final date GM would cover the fluid top up and any possible repairs.  Of course, I got the letter on April 30 *sigh*.

Made the appointment at the dealer and took it in a week later.  Thank goodness there was no problem on my Traverse and the dealer said they wouldn't have charged me even if there was an issue.

I had  some coolant leakage in the past, but that was taken care of along with the steering rack replacement, and no issues since then.  I mainly took it in to make sure it was documented that there was no issue/concern with coolant leak and water pump seal failure.

Maybe this is a good sign, or bad sign, depending on the point of view, that I bought the extended warranty for another 3 years.

2010 black metallic 1LT AWD, 04/2010 build date...and thankfully never bought the 2010 Olympic Traverse as some had minor, undeclared damage that was dealer repaired.
Patverse

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2013, 07:45:10 AM »

Received my letter today as well, this is kind of rediculous, OK I take the car in, they check the coolant level, it's OK or they add coolant, you leave then WHAT? I hope as suggested in an earlier post, they extend the warranty on the water pump out aways. Now we play the waiting game, better check your coolant level, and watch the vehicle and pray that when (not if) the water pump fails it will fail during the warranty period. This should be a RECALL, and they should change the pump. But they are hoping they fail outside of the warrenty period, so you can pay full shot for the repair.  Bang Head

2009 Black Granite Traverse LT1
Running boards, towing package 2WD
rbarrios
Traverse GOD!

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 06, 2013, 09:48:46 AM »

In regards to the vehicles affected,  I've been told that it takes about 6 hours to replace the water pump in the Traverse. 

I think its 2 hrs at most...

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    23,000
2010 Traverse 3.6L-    80,000
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-173,000
rbarrios
Traverse GOD!

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2013, 09:53:23 AM »

Thats not coolant...
Unless you did a drain and refill and put green stuff in.... and got rid of dexcool
The factory stuff is pink...

yours- may even be AC related...

Your stuff.

factory stuff..

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    23,000
2010 Traverse 3.6L-    80,000
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-173,000
Bayner66

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 06, 2013, 11:06:37 AM »

Check your letters again. I got one and the date to get it done is April 30, 2015. NOTICE the 2015!

Bayner66
writing from
The Lone Star State
2014 Acadia SLT2 FWD
Mrocster

=========

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 06, 2013, 02:17:03 PM »

I had this discussion this a.m with a rep from GM Canada, and I was told that the coolant could be green. I thought all Dexcool was red? I was wondering if anyone on here would notice after I posted the picture that the color was green, and I was referring to coolant.

Anyways it turns out my A/C is leaking and hopefully not my shaft seal as originally thought. ( lesser of two evils?)
I will find out when the dealership calls me to go pick up the verse.

Thats not coolant...
Unless you did a drain and refill and put green stuff in.... and got rid of dexcool
The factory stuff is pink...

yours- may even be AC related...

Your stuff.

factory stuff..

18" Alloy Rims
Mrocster

=========

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 06, 2013, 06:29:00 PM »

Well it turns out afterall that my water pump shaft seal is good. For now.
Invoice states as below exactly as shown on mine:

Complaint:

Check engine coolant level as per customer satisfaction Campaign.
2009-13 Enclave, Traverse, Acadia, Outlook, with LY7 or LLT engines.
FILL COOLANT TO 1cm ABOVE FULL COLD MARK.
   ======EXPIRES APRIL 30,2015======

Cause:

V2806.3

Correction: CHECK COOLANT LEVEL, TOP UP TANK, LEVEL OK.

18" Alloy Rims
velocity5

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2013, 04:22:42 PM »

My Traverse was in the dealer for some other work so they did the water pump inspection. I have not received a letter.
My R/O reads:
Recall 13079 Water pump shaft seals
Inspection completed, coolant level good.
No repairs required.

2013 Traverse LS FWD Silver Ice Metallic
chevy12

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2013, 08:30:38 PM »

Had my Traverse at the dealer for replacement of the instrument bezel (free to me) and they also performed the water pump seal campaign/recall.  There was no leaks but they did top off the coolant.  Mines the pink/red stuff.  Why would some have the green in them?

2012 AWD Traverse
Silver Ice Metallic
Advent OGM1 navigation
Mrocster

=========

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2013, 08:40:54 PM »

GM calls for Dexcool antifreeze which is red, reddish, orangeish. Green coolant would mean it's not Dexcool , and would void the warranty. I think.

The green I thought was Dexcool was actually an oil dye that's added to the a/c system.

Hope this helps....

Had my Traverse at the dealer for replacement of the instrument bezel (free to me) and they also performed the water pump seal campaign/recall.  There was no leaks but they did top off the coolant.  Mines the pink/red stuff.  Why would some have the green in them?

18" Alloy Rims
Chevrolet Customer Svc
Traverse Freak

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2013, 10:09:04 PM »

Hello chevy12!

I am happy to hear that your vehicle issues were resolved for you.  The dealership would also be able to answer your question regarding the color of the coolant as well.  If you have any further issues with your vehicle, please feel free to ask!

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

greentraverse

View Profile Email
« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2013, 11:04:16 PM »

Got my "recall" letter today, even though they did the coolant level check about a month ago.
Mrocster

=========

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 10, 2013, 11:47:54 PM »

Does it say " Recall " on your paper? Or " Customer Satisfaction " ?

Got my "recall" letter today, even though they did the coolant level check about a month ago.

18" Alloy Rims
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories