TraverseForum.com
Bookmark and Share
March 29, 2017, 11:09:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: The forum is up and running on our new Dedicated Server! Please PM me if you see issues.

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sticky: How to install Xenon HID lights on your Acadia / Traverse  (Read 292796 times)
XenonDepot

View Profile
« on: April 09, 2009, 01:18:43 PM »

http://www.kbcarstuff.com/GMC_Acadia_H11_5000k_Low_beam_HID_Upgrade_s/147.htm
drmichael

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 12:01:29 AM »

Does anyone have any experience in doing this? Any comments?

2010 2LT Traverse (Red Jewel) with leather (Ebony), bluetooth and trailering. Bought new 7/5/10.
Narg

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 02:02:12 PM »

I've not done this procedure, but have done some similar work in the past.  His instructions are fantastic for this type of procedure.  Think each step through before you do it, and don't be afraid to ask questions about each one here.  Lot's of folks here would love to help out.

Only suggestion I have is get some of the fender snaps for replacement.  I usually end up eating a few each time I remove them.   Shocked
staciesbaby

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 09:33:25 AM »

i looked at the xenon depot link, and while the end result does look brighter, the cutoff seems the same (look at the two shelves in the before and after pics in the garage).  I think the headlight adjustment under warranty would be the best idea, since I have no issue with the brightness, just the cutoff.....thanks for the info.

10 Traverse AWD, spring special, steel green, 20's, projectors,dual sunroofs,remote start/bluetooth,8 pass seating
zepcom

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 08:35:51 AM »

i looked at the xenon depot link, and while the end result does look brighter, the cutoff seems the same (look at the two shelves in the before and after pics in the garage).

That's the point of the upgrade.

HID's give a more pure white light output, and when properly adjusted, should have the same cutoff as the factory lights, as to not blind oncoming drivers at night.

That's the most common misconception about HID's; it IS necessary to re-adjust and re-align the cutoff height for the HID bulbs since some HID bulbs have a longer focul length, and thus require physical adjustment "down" to keep from blinding oncoming cars.

From what I read, however, this vendor's HID bulbs were specifically designed with the same focul length as the stock bulbs, so no major height adjustments should be necessary.  But it's still important to check.

Factory headlights have a yellow tinge to them since they're incandescent (compare a standard household 60w bulb to a fluorescent "twisty" 60w equivalent bulb, you'll see the difference in a purer light output) which means that they do not light up the road "as far away" since the light is not as pure white as HID's.

--zepcom
* 2011 Cyber Grey Metallic Traverse LT1 FWD.  *
     Ebony Cloth, 2-2-3 seats, Remote Start, Manual HVAC, craptastic-Ultrasonic & Inspiring-Gentex-rearview-Camera, Bluetooth, Factory Trailering "Provisions" which awards "performance shift" button. Smiley

* 2009.1 G8GT "the grocery getter"
staciesbaby

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 10:06:38 AM »

thanks for the info...think i'll stick with the stock lights for now with a minor adjustment up-seriously can't even see overhead highway signs w/o brights on.

10 Traverse AWD, spring special, steel green, 20's, projectors,dual sunroofs,remote start/bluetooth,8 pass seating
Pages: [1]   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories