TraverseForum.com
Bookmark and Share
July 30, 2014, 05:02:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum Tip: Click the little orange 'new' icon next to any topic to jump right to the first unread message.

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
This topic has not yet been rated!
You have not rated this topic. Select a rating:
Author Topic: Can 3 car seats fit in the 2nd row bench seats??  (Read 4967 times)
mfree1322

View Profile
« on: March 02, 2013, 01:44:15 AM »

My wife and I are highly considering buying a Traverse because we have 3 children in carseats a 3 yr old and 5month old twins. We are currently using a minivan with captain seats and a third row bench and the setup we have is not working for us. The boys are in the captain seats and their car seats make it impossible to get to the third row to help buckle our daughter in her car seat. We test drove a Traverse and loved it but the dealership did not have one in stock that didnt have the captain seats so we were unable to test our carseats. Does anyone have any experience with this? We would love you input because we love to buy a Traverse a soon as possible because the current situation is breaking our backs.
odypilots

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 08:51:39 AM »

I'd say a qualified yes. The seating area is wide enough for three seats, but the middle seat belt anchor is raised enough to make it difficult to buckle and also tips the seat a bit.

2010 Silver Ice Metallic 1LT Traverse AWD w/ tow package 8 seater
2008 YELLOW Chevy Aveo5 LS 5 speed
GOWMU

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 10:14:02 AM »

I would say stay with the captains for three children.  Your twins are getting bigger and more mobile every day and the easier access to the third row with the captains is a huge plus.  Also, have you taken a look at tge Chrysler town and country minivan?  They are offering 2 DVD screens and leather for under 31k.  Traverse cannot do that and it is equal for people moving which is what most use a cuv or minivan to do.

2011 Chevrolet Traverse AWD 2-LT, Built 04/27/2011, Red Jewell Tint Coat, Lt. Gray Leather Interior
mfree1322

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 11:11:27 AM »

I get what you are saying about the captains seats but we would much rather have the third row folded down and have more trunk space. We feel as though the dodge caravan is really lacking in trunk space with the third row up for my daughter and by the time the double stroller is put in the trunk we have no space.
Rocky

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 11:25:19 AM »

One minivan plus is that the floor is lower as they don 't need any space for the AWD system. Equals more room.
If I had three would have gone up a size  even to a Burb Sequoia type.
rbarrios
Traverse GOD!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 11:28:27 AM »

Hi.

theres several threads around here with pic Ive posted of my Traverse
2nd row bench. Where I have 2 baby seats side by side. (though I had to buy Diono car seats which are narrow--- but allow the side by side)

heres are some of the threads... hope the pics help

http://www.traverseforum.com/index.php?topic=2477.0

http://www.traverseforum.com/index.php?topic=2447.0

AND--- the missus LOVED this feature....

the seatback folds flat.... making it an instant changing table....

http://www.traverseforum.com/index.php?topic=993.0

you can also search the Acadia and Enclave forums-- I know theres a few discussions about baby seats.
so a little reading for you.

By the way-- the other day we had 8 people on board.

2 adults in front.
2nd row....  baby seat in 40 portion. and 60 portion 2 adults.
3rd row... baby seat forward facing- and adults on each side.

The Diono car seats are a bit pricey-- at about $250-280 each... BUT ohh man-- Im able to use the sliding features of the seats-- able to seat normals sized adults etc...  Typical car seats that get wide up top-- would not allow this.

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    23,000
2010 Traverse 3.6L-    80,000
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-173,000
GOWMU

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 08:09:22 PM »

If you can swing the cost of a suburban, this would be better for 3 kids and the need for room behind the third row.  The room behind the third row in the traverse is a true disapointment.  I can't go to the grocery store and get groceries without having to lower one of the portions of the third row.  In fact my Oldsmobile minivan has more room behind the third row than the traverse.  Another plus with the suburban is that even with it being a larger, and heavier vehicle it does not get that much worse fuel economy.  I think it get about a mile or two less that the traverse.

2011 Chevrolet Traverse AWD 2-LT, Built 04/27/2011, Red Jewell Tint Coat, Lt. Gray Leather Interior
mfree1322

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 12:25:08 AM »

Thanks for all the great info guys! We actually test drove another traverse and brought it home to try putting the car seats in the middle row and all 3 fit perfectly. We are able to fold down the third row and put the double stroller in the trunk with plenty of room to still go grocery shopping etc without having to remove the stroller. This is definitely the vehicle for us and we should hopefully be proud owners of a Traverse very soon!
rbarrios
Traverse GOD!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 03:21:42 PM »

just a tip--- hopefully it has the factory tow hitch.

Theres been plenty off times that weve gone grocery shopping (costco)- and I put my cargo rack on the back. even more cargo space...
and the strollers are in there etc.

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    23,000
2010 Traverse 3.6L-    80,000
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-173,000
Chevrolet Customer Svc
Traverse Freak

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 10:28:47 AM »

If you can swing the cost of a suburban, this would be better for 3 kids and the need for room behind the third row.  The room behind the third row in the traverse is a true disapointment.  I can't go to the grocery store and get groceries without having to lower one of the portions of the third row.  In fact my Oldsmobile minivan has more room behind the third row than the traverse.  Another plus with the suburban is that even with it being a larger, and heavier vehicle it does not get that much worse fuel economy.  I think it get about a mile or two less that the traverse.
Depending on what model year thatís being compared (Iíll use the current model year), here is the fuel economy numbers;
2013 Chevrolet Traverse AWD and 2013 Chevrolet Suburban 4WD.

The 2013 Traverse AWD with the 3.6L, 6 cylinder engine along with the 6 speed automatic transmission has an estimated fuel economy of 16mpg city, 23mpg highway and 19mpg combined.

The 2013 Chevrolet Suburban 4WD with the 5.3L, V8 engine along with the 6 speed automatic transmission has an estimated fuel economy of 15mpg city, 21mpg highway and 17 mpg combined.  This is with unleaded fuel not the E85 fuel.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

GOWMU

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 11:30:50 AM »

Depending on what model year thatís being compared (Iíll use the current model year), here is the fuel economy numbers;
2013 Chevrolet Traverse AWD and 2013 Chevrolet Suburban 4WD.

The 2013 Traverse AWD with the 3.6L, 6 cylinder engine along with the 6 speed automatic transmission has an estimated fuel economy of 16mpg city, 23mpg highway and 19mpg combined.

The 2013 Chevrolet Suburban 4WD with the 5.3L, V8 engine along with the 6 speed automatic transmission has an estimated fuel economy of 15mpg city, 21mpg highway and 17 mpg combined.  This is with unleaded fuel not the E85 fuel.

Exactly my point, when you are already getting crappy MPG what's another 2 mpg ding when you get a huge amount of space behind the third row in return.  GM needs to deep six the 3.6 liter and put in something with better fuel economy.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
Traverse Freak

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 11:21:45 AM »

I can see your point of view, GOWMU!  Thank you for sharing your thoughts about this.

Pages: [1]   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories