TraverseForum.com
Bookmark and Share
October 31, 2014, 05:57:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum Tip: Click the little orange 'new' icon next to any topic to jump right to the first unread message.

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
This topic has not yet been rated!
You have not rated this topic. Select a rating:
Author Topic: synthetic oil  (Read 7737 times)
fcar

2009 black LTZ

View Profile
« on: February 15, 2013, 12:04:51 PM »

The traverse should have come from the factory with synthetic oil. All the direct injection motors should. The high heat will bake the oil. I have seen the inside of a motor with mobil 1 and one with regular oil.  The difference is day and night. The synthetic can handle heat. This is the main problem with the timing chain, not getting oil to it

frank j carcia 2009 black LTZ AWD build date 11/08
BigBlackTraverse
Traverse Freak

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 12:41:01 PM »

All of the 2012 and 2013 are now using Synthetic or a blend...

The main problems with timing chains was with the 09 and was caused be a design flaw with the oil journals feeding the timing chain cover. They were not large enough so as the oil aged it would flow slower and caused the chains to over heat and stretch.

The issues went away as when the 3.6 DI Camaro was introduced the journals where made larger in the blocks this fixed the issues.

Since then GM now seems to be switching all of there new models engines to Synthetic oils.

2013 Traverse FWD LT1  Black Granite
               All-Star Edition.
GOWMU

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 02:24:17 PM »

Last time I was in the factory and saw where they topped the fluids off they were using Mobil 1.  There were steel drums full of oil with the good old Mobil 1 lable on them.

2011 Chevrolet Traverse AWD 2-LT, Built 04/27/2011, Red Jewell Tint Coat, Lt. Gray Leather Interior
fcar

2009 black LTZ

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 05:06:21 PM »

That is good to hear. I own a 2009 ltz. My traverse had broken valve spring, That is how I seen the inside of my motor. But from the beginning the service manager told me I would be ok with the timing chain because the mobil 1 would get to the chain. When the work was done the chain was good but he replaced it any way. He showed me how clean my motor was and how the oil drained,  compared to a traverse sitting next to mine,That looked like some one dumped mud on top. The oil had baked and become hard

harrysmith

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 08:14:56 PM »

I think all blends, including the GM Blend are a crock.
rau_d

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 09:36:38 PM »

I think all blends, including the GM Blend are a crock.
I second that.

2012 LT1, AWD, tow package, DVD player,  Cyber Gray / Ebony Cloth Interior
Ontario, Canada
powerfool

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 07:56:33 PM »

Got to me careful with short OCI.  If you look at oil analysis trends (and you can send your own oil off for a test if you like), using good synthetic oil and waiting 10k miles (even longer based on driving), you will have low engine wear.  During the detergent cycle (a few hundred miles after changing your oil), you experience the greatest engine wear.  So, more frequent oil change intervals suggests greater engine wear.  I am not asking anyone to take my word for it... look it up or do your own test.
BigBlackTraverse
Traverse Freak

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 08:56:06 PM »

Just avoid the blend stuff.. I'm just going to run full synthetic in my 2013.. Of course the only reason will be just to keep the warranty folks happy. Not going to give them a reason to void it.

It will not affect the Traverse motor one way or the other..  Given the engine from 2010 to 2013 are unchanged.

The 09 engines have issues cooling the timing chain so broken springs are very possible if the chain is stretching so valves , springs and the cam could all be damaged.

Fact is they have to remove certain minerals from the oil just to be able to blend it..  So just run full.. Unless you don't care then just run standard oil.   The 09 is the only one to take care with the fact is you just have to change the oil often to avoid damaging the chain..

The number one factor for engine wear is accsesive idling..  Starting the engine is the next hardest thing.. 

The wear from changing the oil is so minimal you would be talking days if not hours in the difference of the engines overal life..

All-Star Edition.
rau_d

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 09:56:11 PM »

I just had the oil changed with semi blend, but now that I am going to do the rest of the changes myself, and hoping I find the full synthetic on sale, can I just swap from semi, to full syn. without harm?

2012 LT1, AWD, tow package, DVD player,  Cyber Gray / Ebony Cloth Interior
Ontario, Canada
BigBlackTraverse
Traverse Freak

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 10:01:19 PM »

You can go back and forth from blend to synthetic.

Going back to standard oil will cause issues only.. 

Like I said blend has had certain minerals removed so its safe with synthetic..

But going back to standard oil will cause damage o the engine.. 

All-Star Edition.
rbarrios
Traverse GOD!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 12:09:33 PM »

Got to me careful with short OCI.  If you look at oil analysis trends (and you can send your own oil off for a test if you like), using good synthetic oil and waiting 10k miles (even longer based on driving), you will have low engine wear.  During the detergent cycle (a few hundred miles after changing your oil), you experience the greatest engine wear.  So, more frequent oil change intervals suggests greater engine wear.  I am not asking anyone to take my word for it... look it up or do your own test.

ive read the same thing--- too frequent oil changes-- may not be what you want to do-- and I believe it was for what you mention.

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    27,000
2010 Traverse 3.6L-    84,000
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-173,000
fcar

2009 black LTZ

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 08:54:50 AM »

Don't tell anybody, But I run 2 oil cycle between changes with mobil 1. I run to 10 percent reset run back to 10 percent then change. hope nobody listening. angel plus good way too keep the cost down if it is a worry

Rocky

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 09:58:31 AM »

That is good to hear. I own a 2009 ltz. My traverse had broken valve spring, That is how I seen the inside of my motor. But from the beginning the service manager told me I would be ok with the timing chain because the mobil 1 would get to the chain. When the work was done the chain was good but he replaced it any way. He showed me how clean my motor was and how the oil drained,  compared to a traverse sitting next to mine,That looked like some one dumped mud on top. The oil had baked and become hard

The condition of the other Traverse is more likely due to owner neglect in not having it serviced at the right time. Some people are willing to spend tens of thousands on a car and neglect the $40 oil change.

rbarrios
Traverse GOD!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 11:02:08 AM »

Don't tell anybody, But I run 2 oil cycle between changes with mobil 1. I run to 10 percent reset run back to 10 percent then change. hope nobody listening. angel plus good way too keep the cost down if it is a worry

what?
I lost you...

1Gani

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 12:03:35 PM »

You can go back and forth from blend to synthetic.

Going back to standard oil will cause issues only.. 

Like I said blend has had certain minerals removed so its safe with synthetic..

But going back to standard oil will cause damage o the engine.. 

Can you go from conventional to synthetic with no issues?

2009 LT2 Traverse AWD, Red Jewel, Ebony Leather Interior, 7 Seats Config., Dual Sunroofs, DVD, Bose Speakers, Remote Start, Bluetooth, Rearview Camera, Tow Package
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Build Date - March 2009
rbarrios
Traverse GOD!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 12:08:49 PM »

I think I read somewhere that if youre in the higher mileage- 100K plus-- if you go to synthetic--- you may get some oil leaks due to synthetic being thinner or something like that-- dont know if theres any truth to that..

DVelasco68

dvelasco68 dvelasco68
View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 12:27:17 PM »

I've read about running 2 cycle oil in the gas to help lubricate valves (no benefit in direct injection engines), but never actually running it as engine oil...  eyebrow

Quote from: chris-bobstheoilguy
2t oil can be used in 4 stroke engines in small quantities with some benefit. Certain engines are prone to problems and high rates of wear. Those are more likely to benefit from the addition of a tiny amount of 2 stroke oil. Old engines with sticky valves for instance. This is a common trick on lycoming engines run on 100LL, it frees up the sticky valves.

It can also reduce the load on the valve seat due to excessive RPM. Very high rates of valve closure can pound a seat into an alum head. 2t oil may help a little according to some.

Remember that some gasoline has lubricity addtives already.

Chris

2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ FWD (1/4/2013 Build date)
2007 Chevy Trailblazer SS AWD (6/6/2007 Build date)
2002 Chevy Venture WB Edition (Traded in)
2000 Chevy Malibu LS (Retired)
1987 Buick T-Type (In the garage)
1Gani

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 12:35:15 PM »

Are you one of the few 2009 owner that got the OLM software updated and after the update noticed that the OLM% drop so fast at a rate of just over 20M per 1% thats why you do oil change at every two life cycles?

2009 LT2 Traverse AWD, Red Jewel, Ebony Leather Interior, 7 Seats Config., Dual Sunroofs, DVD, Bose Speakers, Remote Start, Bluetooth, Rearview Camera, Tow Package
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Build Date - March 2009
fcar

2009 black LTZ

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 01:56:27 PM »

Are you one of the few 2009 owner that got the OLM software updated and after the update noticed that the OLM% drop so fast at a rate of just over 20M per 1% thats why you do oil change at every two life cycles?
Yes I am.

DVelasco68

dvelasco68 dvelasco68
View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2013, 02:24:55 PM »

You didn't answer the question as to what is the benefit of using 2-cycle oil instead of 4-cycle oil in our 3.6L engine...  Undecided

Yes I am.

2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ FWD (1/4/2013 Build date)
2007 Chevy Trailblazer SS AWD (6/6/2007 Build date)
2002 Chevy Venture WB Edition (Traded in)
2000 Chevy Malibu LS (Retired)
1987 Buick T-Type (In the garage)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories