TraverseForum.com
Bookmark and Share
December 20, 2014, 04:38:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Traverse Sales:  Mar: 8,230       YTD:26,368        All-Time: 233,642  (graph)

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2009 Traverse Heat Selector Switch Not Working  (Read 10555 times)
goak

View Profile Email
« on: November 13, 2012, 11:34:46 AM »

Hi,

I have a 2009 Traverse LS with manual heat controls.  The heat selector switch is stuck on vent.  No matter what position I place the switch in, defrost, floor, floor + defrost, vent, etc, the air only blows out of the vents.

Can anyone give me some advice on where I can start looking to try and fix this?

Thank you.
rbarrios
Traverse GOD!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 11:46:35 AM »

could be  the head unit (where the selector is)...

or

with engine off--- radio off-- and quiet in the car---

listen carefully-- and move the selector to the different positions--- you should be able to hear the mode door move..
Or attempt to move.

Its possible one of the doors is stuck and not able to move. 

There has been a few cases reported of a warped door that gets stuck-- or warped case.. which requires replacement.(I think for this the dash has to be taken apart)

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    27,000
2010 Traverse 3.6L-    84,000
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-173,000
Balltj

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 05:24:54 PM »

I have a 2009 LT, and I had the door inside the dash replaced last week because of the exact same problem.

2009 Chevy Traverse LT1
Metallic Black
goak

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 11:27:32 AM »

I've moved the selector to the different positions and you can briefly hear it try to divert.  I think the selector switch is fine. 

I went ahead and partially disassembled the dash.  Looks like most everything is located on the passenger side behind the glove box.  Can anyone confirm that there only 3 actuator doors?

Also I'm looking for some logic on this.  If the vent is the only one that works no matter the setting, does that mean that both the floor and the defroster door are stuck and can't open or does it mean that the vent one is stuck open and can't close?  Is there a way to test them individually?

Thanks

bobg1951chevy
Traverse Freak

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 02:34:59 PM »

I've moved the selector to the different positions and you can briefly hear it try to divert.  I think the selector switch is fine. 

I went ahead and partially disassembled the dash.  Looks like most everything is located on the passenger side behind the glove box.  Can anyone confirm that there only 3 actuator doors?

Also I'm looking for some logic on this.  If the vent is the only one that works no matter the setting, does that mean that both the floor and the defroster door are stuck and can't open or does it mean that the vent one is stuck open and can't close?  Is there a way to test them individually?

Thanks

You'll find procedures to follow in  your shop manual.

2009 Silver Ice LS FWD
Built 6/3/09
1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 dr.
Built 7/1951  
www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/21579056

"Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like" .... Will Rogers
EasyTZ

2009 AWD LTZ Traverse

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 10:07:30 PM »

Had a problem with not getting heat on passenger side.  Under warranty a module was replaced.  TZ

2009 AWD LTZ Traverse
Chevrolet Customer Svc
Traverse Freak

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 04:20:51 PM »

@EasyTZ, Iím happy to read you were able to get this resolved under warranty.  Please, keep in mind if the dealership used genuine GM parts there should be a 12 month or 12,000 mile warranty on the parts and labor.  This warranty will expire either on time or mileage, whichever happens first.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

09TravCovertAustinTx

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 01:22:25 PM »

Did you check to see if the heater core valve actuator is working?

We just had one go out at 58000 miles on 2009 Traverse.
It would get stuck in the hot position with the valve open that controls hot engine coolant entering the front air box (air handler box like in a home AC). When I pulled the passenger side glove box and lower panel I could see the motor trying to work and could help it out by pushing directly on the valve to get it where it needed to be.

Thus, if the "Hot <-> Cold" selector dial was turned to "Cold", the valve would likely still be part way open and the hot coolant entering the heat exchanger in the air box would be fighting any cooling efforts from the evaporator. Result: AC would appear poorly functioning.

Anyone know if there are separate valves for both front and rear air boxes? This might cause some discrepancy between front and rear cooling capability as well.   

My dealership is Covert Austin
Bought from Josh Lee
Service Manager: Kevin
Parts: Charlie
All been real professional in my experience.

Quoted 78.78 + tax and they keep several in stock to the advantage of customers that might have this issue as it is not uncommon. This is money on the shelf so recognition goes to GM and the dealer for having these available. Thanks.   

gogreen

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 12:13:52 PM »

I have a 2009 LT with the same problem.  Heat blows out the vent only.  The dealer inspected this and says the actuator doors are stuck for some reason unknown to them.  They claim the cost to repair would be very expensive and I think they mentioned $2,000+.  I was very surprised and decided not to do anything, but with the cold weather of winter this is really not a great way to enjoy driving with cold feet and foggy windshield.  Does anyone have a suggestion for me?  I'm likely not going to attempt to fix this myself.  Should I take it to a different dealership?  Does anyone have an idea what this repair should cost?
rbarrios
Traverse GOD!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 12:21:02 PM »

I have read thread on warped casings-- where the blend doors cant move/get stuck.
They did have to tear apart the dash to fix.
is this your issue? possibly.
or an actuator has died....

look at this thread so you know what actuators are..

http://www.traverseforum.com/index.php?topic=3042.0

but What I would personnaly do-- if I didnt want to pay $2000.

Is Id find the actuator that controls the door to provide heat to you area. Id check to see that the actuators actually work.
Id try to get in there and either by replacing the actuator-- or somehow moving the blend door-- Id move it- and leave the plug to the actuator unplugged... so it wont move....

kenlee247

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 06:12:27 PM »

I've got an 09 Traverse LS. Mine will blow lukewarm air out at times even with the switch turned to full cold. With the radio off I can hear the door trying to move but kind of stuttering. Eventually it will move full cold or warm. It is just a matter of time before it gets completely stuck. GM needs to address this issue because it is happening to way too many drivers.
ElectricPotato

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 06:30:35 PM »

Got the opposite problem on my 2011 Traverse LS.
The blower is stuck on the floor and windshield defrost.
Can't get any air to blow out of the regular AC vents.

I would imagine this is still covered under warranty...have to make a call and find out.
Chevrolet Customer Svc
Traverse Freak

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 08:43:59 PM »

I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you. Please keep us updated on the situation. Feel free to contact us. If you send a PM, please include your VIN#, name, situation, contact information, current mileage, and the dealership. I hope this is resolved quickly for everyone.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance
Deena1583

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2013, 01:09:47 PM »

This just happened to my 2009 Traverse. It's only blowing out of the defrost. It blows in back fine.
CGIM5804

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2013, 11:07:17 PM »

Sounds like an actuator.  If your handy, you can buy it for less than $50.  Getting it done at the dealer i I believe is $350-$400?
goak

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2014, 11:41:45 AM »

Hi everyone, been quite a while since I created this post.  Solution was replacing the blend door actuator on the passenger side.  After that everything functioned normally until about a week ago.  The weather got pretty warm here so I used the AC for day or so until the weather returned back to normal Ohio temps.  Now that I need the heat in the morning, the middle heat dial has no function, the blower blows cold no matter what temp. is set on the dial. 

As I explained in my original post, its a 2009 LS model and does not have dual zone control.  Am I possibly looking at a problem with the air temp actuator?  Is that the one over on the driver's side?  From what I remember the recirc and blend door actuators are over on the passenger side?  Is that correct or is my memory failing me?

Thanks
copperbeech

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2014, 10:24:42 AM »

I have been putting up with this issue for a couple of years. (2009 with 75k miles on it)

Mine is a bit different?

If mine correctly blows hot then if one selects cool it will continue to blow hot for an extended period and then w/o warning it will do the cool and vice versa.

Is this indicative of "only" a warped or somehow partially stuck blend door or is it also an actuator?

1LT AWD Gold Mist; Build Date April 09

Greater Toronto Area
rbarrios
Traverse GOD!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2014, 10:56:59 AM »

ahh-- had not seen you on for a while.

Unfortunately- cant asnwer your question..
except to say- that you could prob answer the question by swapping some of the actuators around and seeing if the problem follows the actuator.

Pages: [1]   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories