TraverseForum.com
Bookmark and Share
November 22, 2014, 10:08:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for something smaller than the Traverse? Check out the all new Chevy Equinox at http://www.EquinoxForum.net

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
This topic has not yet been rated!
You have not rated this topic. Select a rating:
Author Topic: Did Maintenance I and Maintenance II go away?  (Read 4527 times)
mrw803

View Profile
« on: November 11, 2011, 07:22:33 PM »

I was just at the Chevy dealership today for Maintenance II.  When I got in there they told me what I really needed was a 50,000 mile service (mileage was 52K), which included an engine air filter check, a transmission flush, Fireball Fuel Injector cleaner, and a vehicle report card.  So that's what I did. 

While I was in there, I also picked up a brochure that described maintenance services.  Nowhere in there did it mention the Maintenance I and Maintenance II packages that my owner's manual talks about.  Instead, it listed various maintenance packages at differing mileage points.  Oil changes were considered the 5,000 mile service and that varied from dino oil to DEXOS to full synthetic with or without Fireball Fuel Injector cleaner.  And for the 60K miles service, they recommended a Fuel Induction Cleaning and a Brake Fluid service exchange.  I had the Fuel Induction service done at 30K miles and was planning on doing it again at 60K anyway, but I never heard of--and the owner's manual doesn't mention--Brake Fluid Exchange. And I thought the coolant was good for 100K or 5 years (they recommend it changed at the 75K service). 

So those of you who have 2010, 2011, 2012 Traverses (mine is an 09), does your owner's manual still recommend M1 and M2 or Brake Fluid Exchange?  And would you follow the advice of the dealership or follow the owner's manual?  Obviously the dealership has a leg up since they service these vehicles everyday but I sometimes wonder.

2009 LS Traverse
Peacock Metallic
Spring Hill November 2008 Production
Timing Chains replaced @ 45K
medicrxdoc

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 07:27:04 PM »

That publication your referencing is NOT a GM publiction.  Sounds like upselling.
ls973800

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 08:37:50 PM »

I agree, up-selling.  With that said, I do believe in the brake fluid exchange and the transmission fluid exchange (even though you didn't mention that).

Brake fluid collects moisture, and with the high tech brake systems, anti lock systems, traction control systems, etc, the fluid must be kept clean and dry.

The "Fireball" Fuel Injector cleaner sounds like it was named in the 50's!  The following was pasted out of an owner's manual for a Traverse. Your manual probable says the same thing.

For customers who do not use TOP
TIER Detergent Gasoline regularly,
one bottle of GM Fuel System
Treatment PLUS, added to the fuel
tank at every engine oil change, can
help clean deposits from fuel
injectors and intake valves. GM Fuel
System Treatment PLUS is the only
gasoline additive recommended by
General Motors. It is available at
your dealer.

2010 Summit White Traverse LTZ,  SOLD 4/2012
2015 Traverse 2LT Siren Red Tintcoat-36 Month Lease
rbarrios
Traverse GOD!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 10:15:47 PM »

my 2010 manual still has the Maint I and II.
So what you saw was upselling--- or basically profit making work for the dealer.
As for the GM fuel system treatment PLUS-  this is actually Chevron TECHRON PLUS...

So you can simply go to auto parts or Walmart and get the Techron PLUS and run it in your fuel.
I do this every 10,000. (every other oil change).

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    27,000
2010 Traverse 3.6L-    84,000
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-173,000
GXPWeasel
Traverse Freak

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 11:56:12 AM »

I'll second the Brake Fluid flush / change here. It is very important to make sure you have good, clean, and enough brake fluid in all vehicles. Brake fluid starts out as an Amber, or light tan color, and can easilly get dark brown or even Black if is isn't changed. Brake fluid is designed to pick up wear particles etc. from the calipers and master cylender, and should be changed about every 3 years, or 60k miles, in my opinion. I change mine every 3 years, as it would take me about 10 years to get to 60k miles.  Grin

The rest of the stuff the dealer told you, I'll agree here, in that it was upselling. It didn't hurt your Traverse by any means, but it may not have been necessary yet.

Greg.

2010 Red Jewel LT2 (Spring Edition)
rbarrios
Traverse GOD!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 02:27:19 PM »

ohh yeah.. black..
thats how my brake fluid came out of my Trailblazer- at 100,000 or so when I changed it (4 or 5 yrs old)

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    27,000
2010 Traverse 3.6L-    84,000
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-173,000
Pages: [1]   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories