TraverseForum.com
Bookmark and Share
September 17, 2014, 01:34:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out our new iPhone, Android & Blackberry App! More info

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
This topic has not yet been rated!
You have not rated this topic. Select a rating:
Author Topic: Replacement Tires instead of the Forteras  (Read 21196 times)
Patverse

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2011, 08:50:46 AM »

Hi all, curious and need some feedback on replacement tires for my 2009 Traverse LT. The Fortera's only have about 30,000 miles on them and have worn down to 3/32's. Don't want to go through an upstate NY winter with them like that. I have kept the air pressure where it belongs, and rotated every 6000 to 8000 miles, so they are all in the same shape. I guess our roads here in NY wear the tires down faster than other areas. I was never inpressed with the tread depth on the Forteras anyhow. I've been looking around, and Pep Boys here is running a special, buy 4 tires and get one free (the 4th tire price is a mail in rebate and comes back on Pep Boys Visa card). Of course they only carry two tires to fit the 18" tire size on my Traverse:

Nexen Roadian 542 (no price listed, have to call to see how much)
Hankook Ventus AS $189.00/tire $929.00 installed with installation and road hazard, before rebate. Anyone had any experience or information if either tire is any good? Looking for feedback on ride, quiet, tire life, and performance in rain/snow. Thanks!

2009 Black Granite Traverse LT1
Running boards, towing package 2WD
GXPWeasel
Traverse Freak

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 09:18:28 AM »

If you take a look, there are several threads here in this section regarding replacement 18" tires, other than the factory Forterra's. I think your second option, the Hankook Ventus AS sounds like a good tire. I have always heard good things about Hankook tires, and was actually looking for them for my Truck when I replaced the tires earlier this spring, but the ones I was set on, were on Natl. backorder. The price of $1,000 or less sounds about normal for new shoes on the Lambda vehicle, so I don't think you are getting taken here on the price.

If nothing else, go look at tire rack. com, and look up that Hankook tire. Sure, the reviews may not be for the Traverse / Acadia / Outlook / Enclave, but I'm sure there are other reveiws that would be helpful in giving you the confidence to purchase.

Greg.

2010 Red Jewel LT2 (Spring Edition)
84camino
Global Moderator

cadavev cadavev
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 12:05:53 PM »

nexenmakes a good tire bought them for my dail driver jeep patriot and have been very pleased thus far. have 12,000 on them so far

Dave Vianu
Rancho Cucamonga, Ca
11 Traverse 1LT
84 El Camino Custom
rbarrios
Traverse GOD!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 12:44:08 PM »

Also- look at the Toyo tires brand- they also make a 18 inch tire.

Go look at the acadia forum- theres a thread over there with feedback on the 18 inchers people have bought.
I Know theres 1 brand- that actually most are reporting wears WAY faster than the Forteras.

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    23,000
2010 Traverse 3.6L-    80,000
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-173,000
RedJewel11

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 08:37:33 AM »

The only disappointment we have had with our '11 LT AWD is that it came shod with the Fortiera's. We have them on its predecessor our '03 TB and disliked them from the first rain. They did not grip well on a wet road and had a tendency to hydroplane. Had we bought the Traverse new we would have insisted the dealer take them off and put something else on. But it came with 11K on the clock and it was approaching winter so we put on GY Ultragrip Ice for the winter.

We have put off a decision on summer tires until then, so I eagerly await more dialogue on alternate tires.
We had Hankook  iPike WR11 winter tires on the TB they were great. I have Cooper M+S Discoverer Snows on my Silverado and in the summer it has Toyo Open Country A/T  I like both sets.
kslaughter33

2008 Saturn Outlook XR Ocean Mist: "Misty"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 08:11:33 PM »

My stock Fortera's were almost bald two weeks ago on my Outlook and I was quoted $1299 to install a set of four new tires, so I said what the hell and got 22"s with tires instead for $1350.

22" Tyfun rims, Cold Air Intake, Westin Running Boards, Front Bull/Nudge Bar, GM Mud Flaps, Buick Enclave Ventiports, 8500k Headlamps, License Plate LED's, LED DRL's, Interior LED's, Vent Visors, Dee Zee Running Boards, Factory Crossbars, Wood Dash, Black Emblems, Rear End Debadged, Chrome Accents
GXPWeasel
Traverse Freak

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 09:28:41 AM »

I like the style / design of the rim you chose (especially over the factory Outlook rims) although I wouldn't have gone quite so big for myself.

Looks pretty good though.  thumbs up

Greg.

2010 Red Jewel LT2 (Spring Edition)
rbarrios
Traverse GOD!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 11:27:05 AM »

Im guessing you feel the road a little more?

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    23,000
2010 Traverse 3.6L-    80,000
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-173,000
Chevyman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 04:46:45 PM »

wow that is a big rim, cool look though compared to factory rims. you probably do feel alot more road noise with not much sidewall and rubber on the tread. I can see why you spent what you did, spent a little more money and upgraded versus the forteras and looks better.
kslaughter33

2008 Saturn Outlook XR Ocean Mist: "Misty"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 08:33:00 PM »

After the first week of driving where I noticed a lot more bumps in the road, I really don't feel it.  I did notice a big increase on handling and confidence on corners.  The other thing thats crazy is at times the rims look huge, but other times they look normal or even small.  I've seen 24's on lambdas but that wasn't very practical because I actually take it to the snow.  I considered 20's but didn't think it was worth the extra coin just for 2".

22" Tyfun rims, Cold Air Intake, Westin Running Boards, Front Bull/Nudge Bar, GM Mud Flaps, Buick Enclave Ventiports, 8500k Headlamps, License Plate LED's, LED DRL's, Interior LED's, Vent Visors, Dee Zee Running Boards, Factory Crossbars, Wood Dash, Black Emblems, Rear End Debadged, Chrome Accents
thesilversurfer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 09:06:12 AM »

Hi all, curious and need some feedback on replacement tires for my 2009 Traverse LT. The Fortera's only have about 30,000 miles on them and have worn down to 3/32's. Don't want to go through an upstate NY winter with them like that. I have kept the air pressure where it belongs, and rotated every 6000 to 8000 miles, so they are all in the same shape. I guess our roads here in NY wear the tires down faster than other areas. I was never inpressed with the tread depth on the Forteras anyhow. I've been looking around, and Pep Boys here is running a special, buy 4 tires and get one free (the 4th tire price is a mail in rebate and comes back on Pep Boys Visa card). Of course they only carry two tires to fit the 18" tire size on my Traverse:

Nexen Roadian 542 (no price listed, have to call to see how much)
Hankook Ventus AS $189.00/tire $929.00 installed with installation and road hazard, before rebate. Anyone had any experience or information if either tire is any good? Looking for feedback on ride, quiet, tire life, and performance in rain/snow. Thanks!

I just got Hankooks for $160--- I like them so far.
BigBlackTraverse
Traverse Freak

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 11:40:12 AM »

I was kind of bumming over my 17's on my LS...  But now that it's time for tires I'm glad I have so many more choices...

I getting Michelin LTX M/S 2 .  Of course I wan looking for quality and performance above all So i know I'm paying more for them.

Still got them on sale for $229 Canadian each plus a $70 mail in rebate. So $1065 with all out BS taxes and Environmental fees. It worked out to just a little more than crossing the boarder for them.  Not really though when I add the crossing fee's and gas to go.

I'm 99 % sure they will be way better than the crappy Generals that have wore right down to the wear bars at 70,000km.

2013 Traverse FWD LT1  Black Granite
               All-Star Edition.
Quantum
Global Moderator
Traverse Freak

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 10:01:46 PM »

I plan to buy Michelin's for my 18" Fortera replacement.  They have almost the equivalent size for my 18", it is slightly bigger which is fine with me, I like to see the wheel wells full.  Let me know how you like them!

2010 Traverse 1LT
Built 3/10 in Lansing, MI

Ontario, Canada
Rocky

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 05:17:56 AM »

Those Michelins are great tires. A little whiny on damp roads but expect a real smooth ride that lasts much longer
BigBlackTraverse
Traverse Freak

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 08:17:31 AM »

They may be a little wimpy on the damp roads but I bet they are 10 times better than the Generals on damp roads... Smiley

All-Star Edition.
Rocky

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2012, 12:54:51 PM »

Confidence inspiring
BigBlackTraverse
Traverse Freak

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2012, 01:54:40 PM »

Yes and it's raining here new tires will not be in till next week...

All-Star Edition.
CGIM5804

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2013, 11:51:26 PM »

Well, time has come for new tires. Spoke to my friend who hooked me up with a good price on a set of 4, what I thought were Bridgestone Dueler HL422 Ecopia. I really wanted to get the new Nitto NT421Q, which looks like a great tire but there were no reviews and this place did not carry them.

Well, wife gets home and says, "oh, these tires says Continental Cross Contact LX20, not Bridgestone"  Really? Now you figure this out? Could not take time off and she was home. In any case, this was actually the tire that I was looking at, besides the Nitto Tire. It had better ratings in wet and light snow, which was my main concern, but also had a bunch of people complain about tires going out of round, causing vibrations and balancing issues.

These tires were slightly more than the Bridgestone's but I got them for the same price. They also include a 60 day free trial, a great road hazard warranty and 70,000  tread-life warranty. Just took a 500 mile round trip to MD and the tire performed great in heavy rain and lots of ponding on the road. My only concern is the issue with the tires going out of round.
Rubberman

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2013, 03:01:07 PM »

I like the Kuhmos KL51 which i had on the Trailblazer before getting the traverse. Good low priced tires with good tread life.

'12 Traverse LT 1LT - Carbon Flash Black
Dale

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2013, 08:22:37 PM »

You got the warranty if they go out of Round

2010 2LT Red Jewel  AWD  Tow Packages -Wausau, Wisconsin -Build Date 09/09 Pickedup 12/29/09 80,000  July 16th. 2014.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories