TraverseForum.com
Bookmark and Share
February 27, 2017, 01:50:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: The forum is up and running on our new Dedicated Server! Please PM me if you see issues.

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2016 Surge in Reverse  (Read 5505 times)
mb1

View Profile
« on: September 09, 2016, 04:10:03 PM »

Enterprise rented me the 2016 Chevy Traverse. I experienced the problem when I was backing out of a parking area off a dirt road (the mileage was about 19,000 at that point). I'd been waiting for the car behind me to back out so that I could back out. I turned on the ignition, had my foot on the brake, shifted into reverse and the next thing I knew I was hurtling backwards. It felt like being sucked backward and there was nothing I could do to stop it. I smashed into the car behind me, and it was terrifying both for me and, I'm sure, for the guy behind me who suddenly had this SUV crashing into the front of his car. He thought his car was totaled. The insurance companies are handling it, and I told both my insurance company and Enterprise that I thought the Traverse had surged. I did eventually drive the vehicle back home (avoiding reverse as much as possible), and noticed when the car was in cruise control mode that same surge-like feeling when going up a hill--like it was going way too fast. Later, I saw a complaint on this forum for a 2009 Traverse that had surged in reverse (at least that's how I interpreted that post). I don't think this car should be on the road, and the people handling the claim for Enterprise say that it's not, which is good, but they just warned me that if their inspection doesn't show a problem with the vehicle I could be liable for expenses since it has been pulled from their fleet. Has anyone experienced this kind of thing lately? Thanks.
ls973800
Traverse Freak

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 10:50:05 PM »

Sorry to hear that something like that happened to you.  I don't see though how the car could have moved if you had your foot on the brake.

Hope everything works out for you regarding the insurance.

2010 Summit White Traverse LTZ,  SOLD 4/2012
2015 Traverse 2LT Siren Red Tintcoat-36 Month Lease
T2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 11:39:16 AM »

Sounds "Audi-ish".  Something isn't right. Brakes should've held that vehicle.  When I put my 2016 in reverse I have to prod the throttle a little since it doesn't idle back on its own.  That's just unfortunate and crazy.  Glad everyone is okay.
Pages: [1]   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories