TraverseForum.com
Bookmark and Share
October 22, 2014, 11:46:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum Tip: Click the little orange 'new' icon next to any topic to jump right to the first unread message.

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Current Topic Rating: *****
You have not rated this topic. Select a rating:
Author Topic: Second Row Middle Seat Belt does not work.  (Read 8056 times)
BUFFALOSABRES

View Profile
« on: July 25, 2011, 09:51:07 AM »

Have a 2011 Traverse.  We have had it since Nov 2010.  I want to first off say I love it, except for one thing.  Our Traverse has a second row bench with room for 3.  When we got it the 2nd row midlle seat belt worked fine.  About a month later we had 3 kids with us and wanted to use the middle seat belt in the second row and it would not pull out and was stuck.  We tried and tried but it would not extend.  Took it in to the dealership and they put a new belt system in.  Worked when we got it back now it wont pull out again.  Anyone having this trouble?  I have never had a seat belt issue on any car I have owned.  It is very frustrating as I have taking a lot of time running to the dealership regarding this and now have to go back. 
rbarrios
Traverse GOD!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 12:17:48 PM »

Are you sure youre not engaging the feature used for baby seats?
Are you pulling the belt ALL the way out?

To activate the car seat feature- you pull out the belt ALL THE WAY- and it then makes a clicking sound--when in this mode- it retracts but you cant pull it out-- untill you let it retract all the way back in (this to keep seats from moving).

If youre not pulling it out all the way- then disregard- and this isnt your issue.

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    27,000
2010 Traverse 3.6L-    84,000
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-173,000
Chevrolet Customer Svc
Traverse Freak

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 12:19:57 PM »

Dear BUFFALOSABRES,

I have read your post about your situation with your 2011 Traverse and the seat belts of the second row.  I completely understand the frustration that you are going through with this and having to take the vehicle back to the dealership.  However, the dealership is the best place to take your vehicle with this situation.  This type thing should be covered under your warranty and the personnel should be documenting it within the General Motors system.

Please, let me know how your visit goes.  This type of information will allow me to know if I will need to do further research on your situation.

Sincerely,
Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
BUFFALOSABRES

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 12:34:05 PM »

Hi rbarrios, 

It is a mystery to me.  I only know whats going on based on what my passengers say to me.  2 times my kids got in there and tried to use the belt and it it was stuck.  Weird thing is I just went out and got it unstuck by folding the seats.  I did the same thing yesterday and it worked but then it went back to being stuck.  It frustrates me because its a seat belt shouldnt take a engineer and to work it.  I have had it replaced but still does it so leads me to believe it a faulty design.  Thx for your feedback.
rbarrios
Traverse GOD!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 12:42:00 PM »

hopefully its fixed right.
I have not seen other post related to that positions belt not working.

CGIM5804

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 12:45:36 PM »

BUFFALOSABRES,

I had the same problem and fixed it myself.  Look in that plastic piece, where the belt comes out of, and see if there is any foam blocking the path of the belt. The first time I pulled on the belt it wouldn't work properly and the plastic piece popped out.  I took a look and saw that some foam from inside the seat was blocking the path of the belt and also did not allow that plastic piece to fit properly so the belt would get stuck.  I just took a screw driver and cleaned up the area and popped the plastic piece back into place  and good as new!! Not sure if this is the exact same thing but give it a shot, take a look and make sure nothing is blocking the belt.

Go RANGERS!!!

Grin
BUFFALOSABRES

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 12:54:46 PM »

Hey Rangers Fan CGIM5804 ,

Well when the belt works it comes out ok so dont think anything is blocking it.  Just a frustrating thing as it should not take a rocket scientist to use a seat belt.   

Hope you guys didnt over pay for Richards. 

Cant wait for the season to start.
rbarrios
Traverse GOD!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 01:10:40 PM »

since I have a pic of the belt in question.. here it is--
It wont help with your issue- but ill post it anyway.

Scott_A

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 09:44:21 PM »

I have the same problem. It seems that the inertia reel gets locked with the belt fully retracted. From what I can tell when the seat-back is folded forward and then you push it back into the upright position is when the belt locks. We have had pretty good luck pushing the seat back slowly to prevent the problem. Usually the 3 kids sit all in a row and it never locks up, the lock-ups only happened when we use the third row hence the above diagnosis.

Unfortunately if it is the above then it is just bad design and I don't see it being fixed.

Anyone else with a second row bench I would be interested if you can reproduce it using the info above. Perhaps this is also something unique to the 2011's?

2011 Traverse 1LT AWD
GXPWeasel
Traverse Freak

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 09:00:44 AM »

^^^ Great feedback Scott_A.
That's the exact type of feedback we need here to get issues resolved. After your explanation, I can imagine exactly what you're talking about, and can picture the inertia switch being activated if you slammed the seat back to the upright position.

+1 Karma.  thumbs up

Greg.

2010 Red Jewel LT2 (Spring Edition)
BUFFALOSABRES

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 09:11:11 AM »

Hello,

So Scott_A and GXPWeasel, you think just by slowly folding the seat back to the upright position that will solve the problem?  My only question about that is we rarely fold the seat on the drivers side which is the section that the belt is in.  We usually access the 3rd row by folding the passenger side seat which is separate from the seat that the belt is in.  Appreciate the feedback.  Lets keep talking about this so we can solve it.  Just seems crazy that a seat belt locks and is this hard to use.  Maybe Chevy does not get a lot of feedback on the issue because the center seat is not used that much? 
Chevrolet Customer Svc
Traverse Freak

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 02:13:43 PM »

Dear Scott_A,

I have documented the situation with your Traverse as well as others that are experiencing this.  By saving this information into my system, this will be saved and can be accessed by various departments within General Motors.

If I am reading all the posts correctly, the dealerships have not been able to permanently fix this?

Sincerely,
Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
BUFFALOSABRES

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 08:18:05 PM »

Hi Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

Well you are correct in my case of the dealership not being able to fix it.  I had the problem when I first got the Traverse and they replaced the part and still have the same problem.  I am starting to think it is not a case of the dealership not being able to fix it as it is a bad design.  The seat belt comes out of the seat back at a total different angle than if you are sitting at the window seats thus I think that creates a problem with the retractor.  The Enclave forum had a similar post.  Although very annoying I love my Traverse so far.  I just dont want to get into a situation where I really need that center seat and it doesnt work.  Dont know where to go with this as it seems like a problem that comes and goes so it is hard to fix and if it is a design flaw may not be able to be fixed.  Thx 
GXPWeasel
Traverse Freak

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011, 09:06:29 AM »

You know, it's too bad they didn't design the 2nd row's middle seat belt like they did the 3rd row's, in the ceiling. I know, it may have gotten in the way of the 2nd. sun roof, if equipped, but you could fix that by stating if you had an 8 passenger Traverse, sun roofs not available.

This would be a better design, IMO.

Greg.

2010 Red Jewel LT2 (Spring Edition)
BUFFALOSABRES

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 09:26:57 AM »

Hi GXPWeasel,

Yes that would be a good idea.  I actually has a situation where I really needed that center seat belt the other day.  Had three kids at the pool the other day.  We went to the pool loaded down with pool stuff.  Kids used 2nd row and had the back packed.  Go swimming and then I packed up the Traverse and then the kids got in and belt was stuck.  Worked on it for 10 min in 95 degree heat and could not get it free even after all of the above things.  Pissed me off!  Had to deflate all of our pool floats to make them fit and then put one kid in the back.  Needless to say I was swearing the whole way back to the house under my breath.  Guess what the damm thing works now, at leadt for now.  GRRRR! 
CGIM5804

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2011, 12:44:26 PM »

I filed a complaint with the NHTSA because of this. This has to be one of the worst designs in seatbelts.  Try fitting a boaster seat or two back there, this is a safety hazard.  The other day I had one adult and two kids woth booster seats and the seat in the middle was nearly impossible to buckle. The buckle did not allow the booster eat to sit up against the seat back so the kid in the middle had to sit slouched down with the belt literally across his neck, because  he could not sit back against the seat.

When they recalled these I thought that's what they were going to fix but what they did was useless. Every other car that I have been in or seen has buckles that are attached with straps so you can fit a car seat, booster seat or person comfortably without having the thing stick into your hip or make it impossible to click in.
BUFFALOSABRES

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2011, 12:50:35 PM »

Hi CGIM5804, 

I feel your pain.  Its a hard thing to duplicate and not sure where to go with the problem. 
kenlee247

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2011, 01:22:34 AM »

I have the same problem with my 09. The center belt locks when the left side center row passenger seat is slid forward to allow access to the rear seat. This happens about half the time. I also back up into my driveway which slopes down to the street. If the kids get in while the vehicle is at this angle and try to use the center seat belt it is usually locked. I have to drive down into the street to get it to unlock. It seems that the mechanism is too sensitive. I understand it needs to lock in an accident but not during regular use. Poor design.
Coltons_Mom

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2011, 10:27:19 AM »

This is a warning for anyone who is having trouble with the Traverse seat belts on the third row locking in place.  I have a 2010 traverse and don't usually have passengers in the third row seat.  It is usually used for toys and baggage.  So probably in the two years since I have had my car the seat belts in the third row have been used less than ten times. This weekend my friends son who is ten was getting seated in the third row as we were boarding to exit an amusement park.  Not only did the seat belt lock up, it locked with him in it and was twisted around his waist.  The buckle wasn't clipped into place.  It was like he had buckled himself in as one normally would, moved the shoulder strap over his head and behind his back, and than unbuckled the seat belt latch before he pulled the shoulder strap back to the front of his body.  The strap was unbuckled, wrapped around the middle of his body and thoroughly locked in place and wouldn't release.  We ended up calling emergency services but every time they tried to work with the strap to get it to release it got tighter around his waist.  So tight that it was beginning to cause him discomfort and mild difficulty breathing. After about thirty minutes of emergency services disassembling the seat belt caseing in varied attempts to trigger the strap release with no luck, I felt like the entire situation was just too stressful and traumatic for my friend's child and requested that they cut the strap to get him out immediately.  When they told us they needed to get a waiver for us to sign first, my husband got so frustrated that the child was in distress that he asked them to just give him the knife and he would cut the belt himself.  Since it just happened yesterday I haven't taken the car into the shop yet to have them figure out why the belt locked and wouldn't release.  But having now looked on the internet and found several instances of seat belts “locking up” on this car I wanted to post the issue so parents would be aware of the danger of the belt getting locked while it is wrapped around a child.     
rbarrios
Traverse GOD!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2011, 11:45:46 AM »

sounds like the pulled the seatbelt out all of the way- and activated the child safety seat feature--- which locks the seatbelt--- in other words-- it wont release any belt--- but will continue tighten until ALL slack is taken up (this to keep the baby seats in place).

Pages: [1]   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories