TraverseForum.com
Bookmark and Share
November 22, 2014, 11:24:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum Tip: Click the little orange 'new' icon next to any topic to jump right to the first unread message.

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
This topic has not yet been rated!
You have not rated this topic. Select a rating:
Author Topic: Replacing passenger side mirror  (Read 10353 times)
bluewhite79

View Profile
« on: July 11, 2011, 12:35:58 PM »

The other week, I was driving down a narrow road and I hit a parked cars mirror with the Traverse passenger side mirror.

Luckily, both mirrors were fine Except for the actual MIRROR part on my traverse.  In other words, the signal works, the tilt/swival works, and as a bonus there are ZERO scratches dents. 

The only thing that happened was the mirror cracked in a few places. When I got out of the car, the mirror portion was just hanging out of the "Casing" so I popped it back in...no problem.

So I bought a replacement mirror piece and now i need pop off the cracked mirro without breaking any clips and so forth.  Anyone have any idea how to pop the mirror out without breaking anything, so i can put the new one in?

thanks for your help!

2011 Black Granite 2LT AWD.
Leather, Connectivity Package, Navigation, 7 pass config.
GXPWeasel
Traverse Freak

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 12:44:14 PM »

So I bought a replacement mirror piece and now i need pop off the cracked mirro without breaking any clips and so forth.  Anyone have any idea how to pop the mirror out without breaking anything, so i can put the new one in?

thanks for your help!

Undecided I guess you could go back down that street, and try to hit the same car again.  Happy

Okay, in all seriousness, I'm not sure how or if they are designed to come out. You may have just jarred or flexed the mirror just right when you hit the other mirror, and it popped the clips loose. Without seeing the inside of the actual mirror, I would have no clue how you could get just the glass portion out.

sorry.

Greg.

2010 Red Jewel LT2 (Spring Edition)
bluewhite79

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 12:53:03 PM »

Undecided I guess you could go back down that street, and try to hit the same car again.  Happy

Okay, in all seriousness, I'm not sure how or if they are designed to come out. You may have just jarred or flexed the mirror just right when you hit the other mirror, and it popped the clips loose. Without seeing the inside of the actual mirror, I would have no clue how you could get just the glass portion out.

sorry.

believe me, i had the same thoughts!  Happy  

I JUST read in another thread on this site that another guy had a similar issue. He has pics up of the interior of the casing. I'll see if I can post in here. I'm just looking for tips how to not make my situation worse by breaking clips and so forth.  Man, that would be terrible.  Oh No

Here is a link to the image

http://www.traverseforum.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=338.0;attach=248;image

rbarrios
Traverse GOD!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 12:58:21 PM »

there is a post on the Acadia forum- of a member replacing his mirror.
You can see the clips on his pics.

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    27,000
2010 Traverse 3.6L-    84,000
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-173,000
2LT AWD

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 01:08:10 PM »

Sounds like you broke a couple of the plastic pillars that are welded to the housing that hold the glass in the mirror housing  together.
I know i had the same issue with a mirror that i damaged , it broke the two or three anchor pillars and stripped the
gear in the electric motor. Had to order a new passenger mirror , took 14 days before GM dealer recieved the mirror.. :Smiley

2010 2LT AWD, Jewel Red
Mft Info: Assembled on a Wed April 7, 2010 Lansing Mi
 2005 Malibu LS
bluewhite79

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 01:09:31 PM »

there is a post on the Acadia forum- of a member replacing his mirror.
You can see the clips on his pics.

THANK YOU!!!! thumbs up

just did a search over there and I will post the link here for members that did what I did.   eyebrow

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=7468.0

rbarrios
Traverse GOD!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 01:53:47 PM »

yup thats the thread.

heres one of the pics he posted- so others can see the tabs were talking about.

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    27,000
2010 Traverse 3.6L-    84,000
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-173,000
2LT AWD

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 02:01:18 PM »

That's exactly how the Traverse mirror is installed and removed. The most difficult part is when you remove the small panel behind the door handle that houses one of the screws it's easy to damage the plastic cover that covers the screw.. The rest of the door panel removal is fairly easy

2010 2LT AWD, Jewel Red
 2005 Malibu LS
2LT AWD

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 02:06:30 PM »

Thats amazing how easy the whole mirror just hook into the housing , I guess you have to wiggle it out of the housing to replace it. thumbs up
How much was the mirror element to replace ?

2010 2LT AWD, Jewel Red
 2005 Malibu LS
GXPWeasel
Traverse Freak

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 09:23:17 AM »

Okay, by looking at these two pictures in this thread ( I didn't click on the links' as I'm pressed for time) it appears the tabs are just a friction based push/pull pin. In this case, I think I would try something like threading a string on both the left and right sides of the glass, just behind the glass portion of the mirror. This way you could pull from the back of the glass, evenly along the back. It's worth a shot anyways, and this is the only way that I can see to evenly pull on the mirror, without damaging the housing.

Greg.

2010 Red Jewel LT2 (Spring Edition)
Rego

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 04:15:39 PM »

I've seen them removed by using mini pick and hook tools.   Probably the best way to manipulate the prongs w/o breaking them. 
vetmann

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 09:24:49 PM »

I can't find the part number for the glass only, not the mirror body for a 2010 Traverse LT, heated but not folding, if that matters.  I looked at GM Parts direct and they don't show it.  I went through a car wash and I guess the rag that was used for the side mirrors had some grit on it and the scratches on the glass are making me crazy.

If anyone has the number, I would appreciate it.  Thanks

Ray
Vetmann
2010 Traverse LT

Ray
2010 Traverse LS
Travelers Ed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories