TraverseForum.com
Bookmark and Share
October 22, 2014, 05:39:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Search all 4 Lambda Forums at once with the "Super Search" box! Click search in the top nav bar to find it.

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2009 Traverse Air Conditioner not working  (Read 16687 times)
shooter

View Profile
« on: May 29, 2011, 08:50:40 PM »

A few days ago we noticed sopme green liquid under our Traverse when we pulled it out of the garage.  The coolant was about 2 pints low so i added some antifreeze.  This week-end we went to our son's house about 150 miles away.  Coming back home today I turned on the A/C and it was blowing warm air.  I stopped at a tire shop since it was the only shop I could find open today (Sunday).  After I explained the liquid under the car one of the guys said newer vehicles AC systems are sealed with a thick green liquid.  I asked about just recharging the system but he said it may be damaged since the sealant had leaked out.  I am planning on taking the car to the dealer we bought it from on Tuesday.  It has 52,000 miles.  Any ideas/suggestions are appreicated.  Thanks
Quantum
Global Moderator
Traverse Freak

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 09:09:00 PM »

As far as I know, GM uses Dex-cool antifreeze, which is red (or orange depending on how you perceive it).  So a green puddle under your car puzzles me.  Have you had your coolant changed out?

Usually Dex-cool is good for 5yrs or 250,000km (160,000 miles I think).

Second, I don't think that your AC would be damaged, because there are pressure switches that will not allow the AC to engage if the pressure is too low.  So I highly doubt damage.

Green liquid in the AC?  I don't think so, but maybe??

I think you just have a small leak somewhere and probably need a system recharge (after the leak is found)  You can also buy one of those all in one kits from wal-mart that comes with a gauge.  Its not the most accurate, but it may be the cheapest and quickest way to check if you AC is low on refrigerant or not.

2010 Traverse 1LT
Built 3/10 in Lansing, MI

Ontario, Canada
shooter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 10:02:37 PM »

Quantum, thank you for the reply.  I have used the recharge systems you can buy over the counter on some older vehilcles so i am familiar with that.  When I was talking with the guy at the tire shop he just mentioned on the newer cars you had to take the charge completely down and then refill it.  He also mentioned you had to be really careful on the new ones because the pressure range was tighter than on the older cars.  Basicly I think he may have been trying to covere his butt cause he said I probably shouldhave a shop do it since they had the right tanks and sensors, etc.  Have you recharged any of the newer vehicles?  I believe the last one I did was a 2001 Silverado.  With the antifreeze I did notice it was Dex-cool.  Since it didn't need but about a quart I just added water.  That should be okay right?  Thanks again for your answer.  If you have recharged a newer car, should I watch out for anythingin particular?  Thanks, Shooter
As far as I know, GM uses Dex-cool antifreeze, which is red (or orange depending on how you perceive it).  So a green puddle under your car puzzles me.  Have you had your coolant changed out?

Usually Dex-cool is good for 5yrs or 250,000km (160,000 miles I think).

Second, I don't think that your AC would be damaged, because there are pressure switches that will not allow the AC to engage if the pressure is too low.  So I highly doubt damage.

Green liquid in the AC?  I don't think so, but maybe??

I think you just have a small leak somewhere and probably need a system recharge (after the leak is found)  You can also buy one of those all in one kits from wal-mart that comes with a gauge.  Its not the most accurate, but it may be the cheapest and quickest way to check if you AC is low on refrigerant or not.
BigBlackTraverse
Traverse Freak

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 08:50:27 AM »

Have your condenser a your A/C pump checked. I almost thing the green may be the AC pump oil. If the AC pump is messed up you will have no cold air. Another common thing with the Traverse is putting rocks through the condenser.

2013 Traverse FWD LT1  Black Granite
               All-Star Edition.
Quantum
Global Moderator
Traverse Freak

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 01:04:29 PM »

Makes sense that your coolant was a pint or 2 low.  I think most members on here have discovered that after a short time of drivng their Traverse, the coolant level drops.  There must be air in the system still from the factory, and it works its way out over the miles.

I added about 1 qt to my Traverse and it has not moved since.  That was about 6 months ago.

2010 Traverse 1LT
Built 3/10 in Lansing, MI

Ontario, Canada
shooter

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 10:01:19 PM »

Have your condenser a your A/C pump checked. I almost thing the green may be the AC pump oil. If the AC pump is messed up you will have no cold air. Another common thing with the Traverse is putting rocks through the condenser.

Thank you, I will check the condensor out in the morning.
shooter

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 10:02:29 PM »

Makes sense that your coolant was a pint or 2 low.  I think most members on here have discovered that after a short time of drivng their Traverse, the coolant level drops.  There must be air in the system still from the factory, and it works its way out over the miles.

I added about 1 qt to my Traverse and it has not moved since.  That was about 6 months ago.

I was wondering if I would have to keep adding to it or if this was (hopefully) a one time thing.
medicrxdoc

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 10:46:14 PM »

Yes, green is the A/C...unfortunately, many problems are being reported with the A/C and it ranges to just about every part. 

Under what part of the vehicle was the puddle of green liquid?
shooter

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 12:10:58 PM »

Yes, green is the A/C...unfortunately, many problems are being reported with the A/C and it ranges to just about every part. 

Under what part of the vehicle was the puddle of green liquid?

Thank you for your response.  I can't tell exactly where it is leaking from, we have a 16' garage door and i don't pull into the exact same spot each time.  I put it on a lift and the only spot I could see any liquid and not very much was under the oil filter.  It did seem more like oil and not the liquid I saw on the garage floor.  I change my own oil so it is probably from that.  I did call Rick R. a local mechanic that we use and is pretty reliable.  he said the newer cars do come out with the green/yellow thicker liquid in the AC system.  he said they do that so they can tell where the leak is at (if it leaks).  Of course he said you needed something like a black light to see it.  From the spot on the floor I believe it was more on the passenger side.  I put it on my lift and checked all around under the compressor but couldn't see or feel any spillage.  I called Autozone and they have the recharge kits but I wanted wasn't sure if the newer vehicles are charged the same way or not.  I don't know if you can do a pressure test on the lines by just putting air into it or not.  I was thinking you had to take the air out of the lines to charge it.  Any ideas?

Oh, I did call our dealer, who we have purchased a new GM from about every 2 years for the past 12 or so.  I spoke with the service manager (who is new in the last year or so) and she told me I was pretty much SOL with 52,000 miles.  We have the 3 yr/36,000.  She then went into the $69 to diagnose but it would come off the total if i get it fixed there.  Last repair (out of pocket) we had on another vehicle was going to charge us $2200 for the work but I had Rick do the same work and it was $1300.  Oh well.  Any ideas are appreciated.
medicrxdoc

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 09:47:41 PM »

You know the system leaked because you saw the green.  In the least after the repair, the system has to be evacuated of any contaminents because of the breech and I doubt you have that type of equipment at home.

I do much of the work on my cars myself, but I would take this problem to the mechanic.  Sorry I can't help you, I don't know much about the A/C. 

Since it isn't a warrantied repair, take it to the mechanic Rick that you trust.
rbarrios
Traverse GOD!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 12:04:29 PM »

UV lamps should make any AC stuff glow.
I know Ive read that AC techs use the UV pens to look for AC leaks.
On that note- Ive gone to a jewelry supply store- and bought a nice single LED UV light. This one makes strips in US currency GLOW. Also makes Vaseline Glow- and makes Some diamonds look clear- and some diamonds flouresce. Very nice light.
I also (found while out running) a lamp that has several UV LEDs- They put out UV light that isnt as good as the one I got at the jewelry store- but still makes some stuff stand out.... (By the way--- these UV lamps- shine it on glow in the dark stuff-- and it glows super bright--- like my kids pajamas with dinosaurs-- shine it on the pajamas- and the dinosaurs start glowing like crazy)....

this is what I found on the roadside-- Must have fallen off an AC techs truck? Its an INOVA UV pen lamp
This X5 LED UV Flashlight has five shockproof LED lamps, each surrounded by reflectors and recessed into a stainless steel head project light up to 120' and operate between –30° and 60°C. Aluminum body has military-grade Type III anodizing. Knurled, three-mode switch cap holds a nonslip, compression-sealed button that allows one-handed operation but stops accidental activation. Lithium batteries (included) generate up to 20 hours of light and have a shelf life of up to 10 years. UV Light helps in HVAC and automotive leak detection.

the other one I have is similar to this... 1 LED- and I think the bulb is better quality than the ones above as the Light it puts out makes bill strips glow, some diamonds flouresce- drivers license holograms glow. When I went to buy it- the man behind the counter- showed me the diff between the $5 keychain lamp and the $20 keychain lamp. he lit up several items (including my CA drivers license)... I obviously bought the one that made stuff stand out.

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    27,000
2010 Traverse 3.6L-    84,000
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-173,000
6fuh

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2012, 01:38:45 AM »

complain about the air not working right 4 months after I bought it in 2009..now 2012 and Air Conditioner not working took it in a third time drum roll the systems contaminated have to replace a number of things.so by the 15th day I just might get the car back

Chevrolet Customer Svc
Traverse Freak

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, 08:49:14 AM »

complain about the air not working right 4 months after I bought it in 2009..now 2012 and Air Conditioner not working took it in a third time drum roll the systems contaminated have to replace a number of things.so by the 15th day I just might get the car back

Very sorry to hear you've been experiencing this! If you would like further assistance at any point, we're always just a direct message away and happy to assist where we can.

Best,

Katie (Assisting Michelle)
Chevrolet Customer Service
bradbrickstone

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2012, 05:23:00 PM »

I do not know individual state laws regarding LEMON LAWS, but your consecutive days in the shop may qualify you for a buy back.  Each repair order you are given should show day into shop  and day out. You may want to check.
ls973800

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2012, 06:33:21 PM »

I do not know individual state laws regarding LEMON LAWS, but your consecutive days in the shop may qualify you for a buy back.  Each repair order you are given should show day into shop  and day out. You may want to check.

I believe the Lemon Laws in most states only cover the first or second year.

According to him he's been fighting with different problems since 2009 when he bought the vehicle new!  It would be a cold day you know where when most people would have major issues like he has stated in the past that he has had and still has no resolution.  He needed to go to a different dealer way back when his problems first started and he said the dealer continuously blew him off.

2010 Summit White Traverse LTZ,  SOLD 4/2012
2015 Traverse 2LT Siren Red Tintcoat-36 Month Lease
bobg1951chevy
Traverse Freak

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2012, 02:54:57 PM »

Georgia Lemon Law criteria.

To qualify under the Georgia Lemon Law, your vehicle must meet one of the following criteria:

•At least one (1) repair attempt for a serious safety defect without the serious safety defect being corrected (“Serious safety defect” means a life-threatening defect or a malfunction that impedes the consumer’s ability to control or operate the motor vehicle for ordinary use or reasonable intended purposes or creates a risk of fire or explosion) in the first two (2) years after the original date of delivery or twenty-four thousand (24,000) miles of operation;
•At least three (3) repair attempts for any nonconformity and the nonconformity continues to exist without being corrected in the first two (2) years after the original date of delivery or twenty-four thousand (24,000) miles of operation; or
•Any cumulative total of thirty (30) calendar days involving attempted repairs to one or more nonconformities in the first two (2) years after the original date of delivery or twenty-four thousand (24,000) miles of operation.

2009 Silver Ice LS FWD
Built 6/3/09
1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 dr.
Built 7/1951  
www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/21579056

"Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like" .... Will Rogers
Sailfish
Global Moderator

Volunteer with Ohio Sheltie rescue organizations

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2012, 02:58:53 PM »

If you live in Ohio you have one year or 18,000 miles, which ever comes first.

Here is a link to 5 pages concerning the Ohio Lemon Law.

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/getattachment/3943c83e-c5f5-407b-b284-45ca43dd9536/Lemon-Law-Brochure.aspx

11 Enclave CXL2 WDT/Titanium FWD 20" Wheels build 11/10 purchase 2/11 - PF-63 & Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30

Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them.

- Tenzin Gyatso, 14th Dalai Lama
Pages: [1]   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories