TraverseForum.com
Bookmark and Share
October 24, 2014, 07:16:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Traverse Sales:  Mar: 8,230       YTD:26,368        All-Time: 233,642  (graph)

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
This topic has not yet been rated!
You have not rated this topic. Select a rating:
Author Topic: check engine light goes on and off  (Read 9693 times)
rvillalobos

View Profile
« on: April 18, 2011, 09:41:13 PM »

hi my check engine light has been going on the a day later goin off.recently it has stayed on. we have 37,000 mi. on it and gets the oil changed regularly.havent changed the air filter or had my 30000 mi service yet as they are pricing high.also the tire traction controll light has came on twice that i knw of and turned off, any help will be greatly appreciated.than you.
jamesmyboy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 10:15:54 PM »

Hate to say it, but if it were me, I'd take it in and at least have them read the codes that are in.
Could be something serious that you can't see from the gauges. Traction control problems could be a real 'Easter Egg hunt', but maybe they can narrow it down quickly.
By the way, does anyone (rbarrios?) know if codes can be read on the DIC via some secret button pushing sequence? My 2003 CTS would display all the codes and allow them to be cleared, etc., so I would think that a much newer vehicle would have this capability.
Anybody?

2011 Red Jewel 1LT FWD
Factory 20s Bluetooth DVD
rbarrios
Traverse GOD!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 11:24:58 PM »

Im not aware of any method to read the codes via the DIC.

The easiest way- is to head straight to AutoZone and have them read the codes. IF they will show up....
They will not do this in California anymore.

But you can do that and have them tell you what the codes are...

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    27,000
2010 Traverse 3.6L-    84,000
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-173,000
XRDreamliner

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 12:18:05 AM »

(I) havent changed the air filter...

With 37k miles, if you are on the original air filter, please get it changed ASAP.  Depending on the driving conditions, it could be pretty dirty and could be reducing your gas mileage, among other things.

2009 Outlook XR AWD
Cocoa Brown w/Tan
Build Date: 11/08
Purchase Date:  Feb 2010 w/19K miles
2008 Audi RS4 Cabriolet
2003 Audi A4 Quattro
BigBlackTraverse
Traverse Freak

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 09:24:16 AM »

Dirty air filter could be causing the engine to starve for air and run lean and cause the engine light to come on.

Another common issue is a faulty O2 sensors they fail all the time.

You could also have a bad coil pack this seems to happen on these.

2013 Traverse FWD LT1  Black Granite
               All-Star Edition.
rbarrios
Traverse GOD!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 11:16:32 AM »

you dont say what year you have---
you say your tire traction control light has come on--- that means youre accelerating a little too hard- and or youre on slipper surface and your traction control is kicking in and applying the brakes to the slipping tire...

OR

Was it you Stability control that has shown messages on the DIC to get service?

rbarrios
Traverse GOD!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 03:59:49 PM »

.havent changed the air filter or had my 30000 mi service yet as they are pricing high.

What are they charging for the 30,000 mile checkup? and do you know what exactly it is that they will do?
But im willing to bet the dealer has a nice list of stuff they want to check- (and from what others have posted--either unnecessary- or you can do them yourself) and they probably want about $300 to do it. I know some dealers will want to flush your coolant, transmissions, power steering, clean throttle body- injectors, etc...

Here you go---
Injector cleaning... this is an iffy one--- just buy a bottle of Techron and pour it in your gas tank.

Air filters will go to 50,000 unless dirty- or if you want to change it. You can buy at auto parts, ebay, or Amazon. heres a how to I made.
http://www.traverseforum.com/index.php?topic=1620.0

Also- they may want to sell you a throttle body cleaning. Heres the $5 way to do it. Another- how to I made.
http://www.traverseforum.com/index.php?topic=1621.0
Need to rotate the tires- heres how I do mine-
http://www.traverseforum.com/index.php?topic=836.0

Rotate your tires? Check your brake pads, check for leaks, check fluid levels- heres what I did this weekend-
http://www.traverseforum.com/index.php?topic=1811.0

they will probably also air up your tires--- but have you ever checked the air pressure on your spare-- or lowered it...
heres how...
http://www.traverseforum.com/index.php?topic=1634.0

do they include a Power steering flush? 
heres how I do it little by little-- not a flush- but you change the fluid.
http://www.traverseforum.com/index.php?topic=1506.0

and last... I have not done a transmission fluid change. I will do that at 50K most likely.
And- the manual does state for a check of the fuel system (related to the high pressure fuel pump and the injectors. Something I dont think I need done- since I dont smell fuel out side of car---or have low MPG- or smell gas in the oil...

bobg1951chevy
Traverse Freak

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 04:19:22 PM »

Don't overlook the loose gas cap to cause the check engine light to come on.

bob

2009 Silver Ice LS FWD
Built 6/3/09
1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 dr.
Built 7/1951  
www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/21579056

"Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like" .... Will Rogers
BigBlackTraverse
Traverse Freak

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 07:38:39 PM »

Bad seal on the gas cap as well.

All-Star Edition.
Quantum
Global Moderator
Traverse Freak

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 08:07:37 PM »

Let's not overlook the dreaded timing chain.  If your Traverse is an 09 model, its in the mileage range of timing chain failures.  If you're an Onstar subscriber, they can tell you the codes too by pushing your blue button.

2010 Traverse 1LT
Built 3/10 in Lansing, MI

Ontario, Canada
rvillalobos

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 08:24:45 PM »

Yew its an.09 traverse and I checked everything fluid wise its good. I just changes the brakes . The gas cap thing I've been thinking but tried putting it on regularly. So next I will check the filter .
  As for the traction light it was the traction light . But thanx for the input any more will help .
BigBlackTraverse
Traverse Freak

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 08:12:17 AM »

Traction control lights can come on with bad speed sensors in the wheels  Bad part is I think the speed sensor is part of the hub so it all has to be changed out.

Get the codes read though they will tell you better.

Are you getting ABS lights with the Traction control lights also note the Stability control will shut down with bad speed sensors as well.

All-Star Edition.
GXPWeasel
Traverse Freak

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 09:02:26 AM »

IMO, there are too many what if's here. I'd just have the codes read by a shop somewhere. If your Stability control lights are coming on, those are usually not a stored code, and must be checked while the actual light is on ( so I've been told by shops around here ).

To be safe, just have it all checked out @ a reputable shop (doesn't have to be a dealership) and see what they can find. I know shops around here will simply check codes for me, or do diagnostics, and let me do the work. Sometimes, they don't even charge me to look things over. This is a shop that I would consider for anything that I didn't feel comfortable doing myself, and wouldn't hesitate to send them my business, as well as friends/family's business as well.

Greg.

2010 Red Jewel LT2 (Spring Edition)
1Gani

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 09:14:43 AM »

Last month my check engine light on my 2009 LT2 goes on and off too. Took it to the dealer and they said the HO2 sensor shorted, they replaced the bad one with new sensor and everthing is back to normal again.

2009 LT2 Traverse AWD, Red Jewel, Ebony Leather Interior, 7 Seats Config., Dual Sunroofs, DVD, Bose Speakers, Remote Start, Bluetooth, Rearview Camera, Tow Package
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Build Date - March 2009
Pages: [1]   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories