TraverseForum.com
Bookmark and Share
April 23, 2014, 01:01:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2nd Annual Lambda meet/LDT plant tour Jun 17, 2011 more info

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
This topic has not yet been rated!
You have not rated this topic. Select a rating:
Author Topic: Rear wiper blade  (Read 29696 times)
cpannarbor

View Profile
« on: December 26, 2010, 11:20:53 AM »

I called the dealer to get a replacement rear wiper blade. Ordered the front ones to while I was at it. Rear blade cost more than one if the front blades. Now I know why. They ordered a whole arm for the rear window. Fronts were just the curved blades. Why wouldn't GM have the blade only for the rear?

Silver 2009 Traverse LTZ
Built 10/08
AWD, DVD, NAV, Dual Roof
gmcdad

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 12:11:39 PM »

I have a 2010 Traverse, the rear arm does not pivot freely. Is any one else having this problem??

2010 Traverse LS AWD
Blue metallic
2000 GMC Sierra SLE sportside 5.3l
odypilots

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 04:12:19 PM »

I have a 2010 Traverse, the rear arm does not pivot freely. Is any one else having this problem??

The rear wiper arm only lifts of the rear glass a couple inches, if that's what you referring to.

2010 Silver Ice Metallic 1LT Traverse AWD w/ tow package 8 seater
2008 YELLOW Chevy Aveo5 LS 5 speed
2005 Black Pontiac G6 GT
09Enclave

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 07:36:06 PM »

Seems a little early to be replacing the rear blade, they should last longer than the fronts because of it being the back, only gets used about 1% of the time the fronts do.

FWIW: still on my original blades, front and rear, that's 28 total months so far.  Still work great.

I called the dealer to get a replacement rear wiper blade. Ordered the front ones to while I was at it. Rear blade cost more than one if the front blades. Now I know why. They ordered a whole arm for the rear window. Fronts were just the curved blades. Why wouldn't GM have the blade only for the rear?

Surprised that the rear blade can't be replaced without replacing the whole arm.  Are you sure it can't?

EDIT: Just looked on www.gmpartsdirect.com and it shows a separate listing for blade and wiper arm:

Washer nozzle, Wiper arm, Wiper blade, Wiper motor

$7.28 for just the blade. ($21.02 for the arm)

2009 Enclave CX, FWD, Silver Green, Ebony cloth, 8-passenger, Driver's confidence pk, tow pk.
BigBlackTraverse
Traverse Freak

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 10:44:50 PM »

Ok The Blade is a pain to change. You also can't find a blade that will direct fit through the after market.

Its an unusable size.

Now you can replace it with just about any 13 inch blade.

The OEM blade is designed with a slightly wider opening where the blade attaches to the arm.

You can removed the blade by reaching in and finding the tab. Push it up and pull the blade down towards the base.

It will come off.

Now ignore all that and make your life simple.

Bye a 13 inch arm style blade.

Pinch the ends on the oem blade down and slide the blade right out of the arm. Do not pull the whole blade off just the rubber at the base.

Take the rubber part off the new blade blade ie a 13 inch blade.

Now use the old blade and trim the new blade down to length.

DONT cut the end that has the clips that stick out you need these so the blade fits back in and lock.

Now that you blade is at the right length just feed it back into the old Blade arm/frame you left on the Traverse.

Click and lock it your done.

So change just the blade rubber.

I can change the blade out in under two minutes.

The back blades wear fast from all the dirt always on the back window.

2013 Traverse FWD LT1  Black Granite
               All-Star Edition.
GXPWeasel
Traverse Freak

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 09:03:26 AM »

I hate, and now refuse to replace just the "refill" or the rubber part.

I think I'll just buy a whole new blade if/when I ever have to replace the rear wiper. Hell, I went 4 years on the front wipers of my Grand Prix, and they still worked like new.

Thanks for the mini write up to help those of us trying to look for a new wiper blade though.  Grin

Greg.

2010 Red Jewel LT2 (Spring Edition)
BigBlackTraverse
Traverse Freak

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 04:56:19 PM »

Yes the important thing is to know gm made the blade housing on the are with extra room to pull in and out of the back arm so most aftermarket blades will most likely not work

All-Star Edition.
medicrxdoc

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 10:27:48 PM »

For my Acadia, the Advance Auto Parts store manager and I took a handfull of different blades out to my car...none fit.  The Traverse window may be different so maybe you can find an aftermarket.  I wish you luck (I bought from gmpartsdirect.com to get one as mine "fell off" somewhere).
Cdnverse

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 12:50:29 AM »

If you are referring to the blade not tracking over the full sweep of the back window, I have the same problem when it gets cold or a little dirty. The arm will not follow the the curve of the glass and only cleans a small sweep in the middle of its range. A real pain. WD40 or similar clears it up for a short time but it never lasts.
gmcdad

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 12:14:43 PM »

Talked to my local dealer and they are going to try tensioning the spring more inside the arm and installing a new blade. I'm not holding my breath.

2010 Traverse LS AWD
Blue metallic
BigBlackTraverse
Traverse Freak

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2011, 02:21:14 PM »

I found cutting the blade a little shorter and it stays on the window better.

All-Star Edition.
theisgreat

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 12:19:05 PM »

The rear wiper arm only lifts of the rear glass a couple inches, if that's what you referring to.
I finallly figured out that the cover on the pivot point of the wiper arm lifts up.   It is the plastic piece about two inches long at the center, not the long metal shroud that cover the wiper arm.  Just pull out on it.  It snaps into place to cover the pivot nut. Use a 13mm wrench to remove the nut and the whole arm assemble come off.
Then replacing the blade is normal.  Stick a screw driver into center of wiper arm to release blade.
gmcdad

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 06:57:11 PM »

Thanks for the info guys. Dealer freed up the arm a bit and replaced the blade. I am now back to the way it was. I drive about 2 miles of gravel road to get to my house, it looks like it will have to be cleaned to maintain proper wiper function.

I did use Rainx on the windows as well. This really helps alot.

2010 Traverse LS AWD
Blue metallic
straitchev

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 03:21:24 PM »

Neoform wipers fit perfect on the front passenger and driver side.
For those in Canada, PartSource is your destination.
The rear is a little tricky but once you get the hang of it, it's probably a 10min job....including cleaning the window
For the rear,
open the cap over the bolt in the middle of the window
use a 13mm socket to unscrew, takes a bit to pull the arm out after you get the bolt off
With the arm removed, you can access everything
GM wanted $40 for a replacement wiper.
Rather than replacing the entire wiper, I grabbed a 13" blade and replaced the old blade with the new one
Put the arm back on with the blade replaced
Put the 13mm bolt back on....not too tight
Enjoy your clean windows
FYI - rear wipers are not a bad design by Chevy or GM. 
Most rear wipers are near impossible to replace in all manufacturers.
And besides, vehicles with rear wipers are not geared towards the average guy with mediocre mechanic skills, it is geared towards the mom that gets oil changes at mr.lube whenever the engine light comes on
Quantum
Global Moderator
Traverse Freak

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012, 09:33:52 PM »

Well my rear wiper blade was starting to separate at the one end closest to the pivot point.

I went to Wal-Mart in the USA and bought the cheapy ANCO brand wiper blade for $4.57.  13" long.

It is a PERFECT fit, I took the old OEM blade off, by pressing on the tab near the center of the blade and sliding it towards the pivot side.  Compared it to the new one, it looks EXACTLY the same.  Slid the new wiper blade (complete frame) in until it clicked. 

Took about 1 minute to do.

Here is a pic of the blade from Wal-Mart

2010 Traverse 1LT
Built 3/10 in Lansing, MI

Ontario, Canada
copperbeech

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2012, 07:12:39 AM »

I went to Wal-Mart in the USA and bought the cheapy ANCO brand wiper blade for $4.57.  13" long.

It is a PERFECT fit,

Any chance this ANCO is available at a Canadian Wal-Mart?

In any event that is good info and a karma point for you  thumbs up.

1LT AWD Gold Mist; Build Date April 09

Greater Toronto Area
Quantum
Global Moderator
Traverse Freak

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2012, 07:40:13 AM »

Next time I'm there (our Wal-Mart in Canada moved from 5 minutes from my house to about 15 minutes away) I will take a look. 

2010 Traverse 1LT
Built 3/10 in Lansing, MI

Ontario, Canada
rbarrios
Traverse GOD!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2012, 03:18:39 PM »

I looked at mine yesterday too--- also tearing from the point closest to the pivot

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    20,000
2010 Traverse 3.6L-    77,000
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-172,000
Dale

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2012, 08:00:59 PM »

I took mine off all together,I don't need more find scratches on the window.If you ever drive around and look at the rear windows of SUVS any make it is the dirtest part of the car.I know the people out west and south don't see the dirt and salt we see up in the north.But in the snow you wash the car and when you get home ,it is dirty again.This is my 4th SUV and they all did that.Must be the AREO on the back window and that little wing.My two cents about the Rear Wiper. blob

2010 2LT Red Jewel  AWD  Tow Packages -Wausau, Wisconsin -Build Date 09/09 Pickedup 12/29/09 74,300 miles. Feb. 22-2014.
Patverse

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2012, 08:48:14 AM »

Took mine off last winter, was tearing in the same spot as described above. Once I took the wiper arm off, could not get the insert out, no matter what I did. (Extremely poor design). I'm sure it's fine for sunny California weather conditions for people like Rbarrios, but in the frozen upstate NY, salt and gunky, it was all corroded. I finally took it over to an Auto Glass shop, and they struggled to get the insert out, but we finally did, and was able to come up with a replacement using the old guides from the bad insert. Working good now, but I'm afraid to replace it again in the future. I think, I may have to buy the whole wiper arm. Why can't things like this be simple? Anyhow, that's my experience with that. Oh No

2009 Black Granite Traverse LT1
Running boards, towing package 2WD
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories