TraverseForum.com
Bookmark and Share
October 21, 2014, 11:07:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: The forum is up and running on our new Dedicated Server! Please PM me if you see issues.

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
This topic has not yet been rated!
You have not rated this topic. Select a rating:
Author Topic: Headlight Assembly Swap  (Read 12038 times)
rbarrios
Traverse GOD!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2010, 01:44:02 PM »

the projectors on the Traverse- are only projectors.. non HID as far as I know...
Though the mexican traverses appear to be HID (due to the color of the lamp in the pics). but the wording says- Auto on halogen headlamps. one you read the specs...

see pics here...

http://www.traverseforum.com/index.php?topic=1055.0

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    27,000
2010 Traverse 3.6L-    84,000
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-173,000
zepcom

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2010, 01:56:47 PM »

the projectors on the Traverse- are only projectors.. non HID as far as I know...
Though the mexican traverses appear to be HID (due to the color of the lamp in the pics). but the wording says- Auto on halogen headlamps. one you read the specs...

see pics here...

http://www.traverseforum.com/index.php?topic=1055.0

correct.  For MY2010 and MY2011, only standard halogen "reflector" beam headlamps are on the US-spec models.  On the GMC, all models have the projector halogen bulbs/housings, except for the top-of-the-line GMC model with the option selected of (PDC) "Technology package" that includes a (UV6) heads-up-display on the windshield, as well as the (TVD) HID projector low beam bulbs.

I wonder if a simple GMC light assembly would be a drop-in replacement for the chevy.  Doubtful, but there's surely lots more of those in the junkyards/salvage yards/ebay than the specific part numbers associated with the mexican model referenced above or the optioned PDC offering.

I'd be happy with simple projection halogens.  They don't blind other drivers, and have a linear cutoff of light, and are far superior to reflector technology.  HID's are the next step up, and sometimes can be retrofitted into projection style light assemblies, but the projection halogens are a cost effective alternative.

--zepcom
* 2011 Cyber Grey Metallic Traverse LT1 FWD.  *
     Ebony Cloth, 2-2-3 seats, Remote Start, Manual HVAC, craptastic-Ultrasonic & Inspiring-Gentex-rearview-Camera, Bluetooth, Factory Trailering "Provisions" which awards "performance shift" button. Smiley

* 2009.1 G8GT "the grocery getter"
ThaTraverseMan

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2010, 02:26:47 PM »

Hello all!!! I am sorry that I disappeared for a couple months  Shocked !.  I came back on the forum to see what was new, and noticed that I completely left this thread hanging, so I wanted to bring some closure.

SO, after all the months of waiting, I can tell you that, yes, the transplant was successful!  I ordered two projector housings off of ebay, I think they were from a 2009 Traverse.  As far as I can remember, all the Traverses' through 2010 all use the same headlamp housings.  So, get them where ever you can!

I also purchased the HID kit from ebay, ran about $40 or so.  Ordered two, just to have spares on hand, which have already come in handy! (more on that later)

So... the install was fairly straight foward, once you got in there.  But, if I had not had the replacement housings to look at, I would have had a heck of a time figuring out how to remove them from the car. 
Step 1: Remove the plastic covers or guards from the engine bay, as well as the wheel wells (pulling them back like you were just changing the bulb wont work very well).  Once you have the wheel wells out, you should be able to see some screwed in clips that are holding the upper body panel to the lower, just below the headlamp assembly.  You will need to remove those clips so that the two pieces move freely from each other.  Without this step, you cannot get the housing to clear the body panels.

Step 2: Remove all of the bolts that are visable from the top portion of the headlight housing.  This is the easy part.  As someone stated above, there is a bolt that is located at the bottom of the headlight, and cannot be seen from the wheel well.  You have to reach in and feel around for it, then you can get a socket wrench on it to remove it.  Once you find it, it is not difficult to remove without being able to see it.

Step 3.  At this point, the assembly should just be basically sitting in the frame, and should move freely.  If not, check to make sure you have all of the bolts removed.  There should be 4, maybe 5 total to remove.  I do remember that getting to one from the top that runs parallel to the ground required some other pieces to be removed.  Nothing extreme, but make sure you get that bolt.  Once all of the bolts are out, you will have to GENTLY pull the upper body panel away from the car a bit so that the housing will clear it.  Once removed you will need to remove the 2 big threaded pieces that were where the lowest bolt, and the horizontal bolt were.  These pieces look like something that could be used to adjust the final rough alignment of the housing in the car.  These are not how you aim the lights for the vertical axis, that is done with a regular phillips screwdriver from the top.

Depending on what parts you get with the replacment housing, you may have to transplant the long bracket attached to the bottom of the housing.  Pretty straight foward, just remove the 8 or so screws and move it to the new one.

Reverse all of the above to put it back in!

All in all it took me about 3 or so hours to do both sides.  Was well worth the effort, it looks so much better. I am still looking for a way to disable the DRL's though, because if you look closely at the lights, you can see a slight flicker, which is what I believe caused one of my bulbs not to last but 3 months.  If anyone has any solutions for the DRL's, please let me know.  And feel free to let me know if you have any questions!

zepcom

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2010, 07:56:31 PM »

Awesome Writeup!

Thanks very much, we were waiting for that.  Glad to hear that the other years are compatible as well!

Now if I could only convince the wife to let me do this mod...  :Smiley

--zepcom
* 2011 Cyber Grey Metallic Traverse LT1 FWD.  *
     Ebony Cloth, 2-2-3 seats, Remote Start, Manual HVAC, craptastic-Ultrasonic & Inspiring-Gentex-rearview-Camera, Bluetooth, Factory Trailering "Provisions" which awards "performance shift" button. Smiley

* 2009.1 G8GT "the grocery getter"
armandjones82

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2010, 05:15:05 AM »

This was a very nice info on the Headlight Assembly Swap for that one. This would really help me out and other as well. Keep it up! Thanks for this one!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories