TraverseForum.com
Bookmark and Share
October 20, 2014, 12:23:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for something smaller than the Traverse? Check out the all new Chevy Equinox at http://www.EquinoxForum.net

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
This topic has not yet been rated!
You have not rated this topic. Select a rating:
Author Topic: back up camera added  (Read 11945 times)
09TRVSLT1

View Profile
« on: August 12, 2010, 05:56:46 PM »

Somebody sent me a message asking me if i ever figure it out how to install the back up camera let them know so here goes. You need the rear hatch harness about 120 from the dealer [(manual hatch with camera) find an LT1 with camera and give the vin to the dealer] because if you have power hatch you already have the camera and that harness is not going to work for you. The handle with camera expensive from GM cheap on ebay. Camera leads run to the mirror assuming you dont have NAV camera leads run to the radio only if your car is equipped with NAV but its not so youll need a mirror with the lcd screen about 150-200 on ebay and robbed if you get it from GM. Now the worst back up power to the camera is dead because your car was not equipped from the factory so you might consider tapping the back up power to your reverse lights in the hatch. Me im crazy and replace my BCM with one from an LT2 and just reprogramed my VIN to it and vuala. Funny thing my miles didnt change and the car was able to start and remote start but radio was theft locked and i had no compass until the vin was reprogramed. I just just couldn't figure out how to add UVC to the old BCM but they are different part numbers. For those interested  I didn't attemp to reprogram it up as a new BCM install. I know my ideas are all over the place. Good luck By the way if need any type reprograming or accessory install Gm dealers in the North Jersey area use modele electronics on RT 17 these guys are awesome and cheaper than the dealer.
AA/78U-Blue Gold
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 09:22:38 PM »

Me im crazy and replace my BCM with one from an LT2 and just reprogramed my VIN to it and vuala.

Are you saying you reprogrammed the BCM or did you have the BCM reprogrammed by someone else?
09TRVSLT1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 07:09:16 PM »

I replaced the BCM with one from a Traverse with back up camera and had someone else reprogram my VIN to it not reprogram the BCM. I tried to have the original BCM reprogrammed but it did not unlock the back up camera. The part number for the BCM'S were different so that may be the reason one had back up camera and the other didn't.
jimmer3434

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 05:27:06 PM »

09TRVSLT1, where is the bcm located?
BigBlackTraverse
Traverse Freak

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 06:57:38 PM »

I just installed this system I purchased off of Ebay. The rear handle on the Traverse is open and easy enough to remove and drill a hole fr a camera. I also installed backup sensors that displays the distance as well in the mirror. Works great and was cheap to buy. I had to modify the mirror as the clips will not reach around the onstar mirror so I removed the clips and used 3m tape to attach it. I will add pictures  of it installed once the weather gets nice.

2013 Traverse FWD LT1  Black Granite
               All-Star Edition.
Quantum
Global Moderator
Traverse Freak

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 07:25:54 PM »

Do you have pics of your install?  I'm curious how your camera looks.  I would like to get something for hooking up my trailer.

2010 Traverse 1LT
Built 3/10 in Lansing, MI

Ontario, Canada
BigBlackTraverse
Traverse Freak

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 08:19:06 AM »

I will get pictures once i get a chance to wash the Traverse. The camera is fine and the display is ok. This system was not to expensive so it's missing a few things like contrast adjustments on the LCD.

It works the same as the factory one though it hard to see in bright light it still has the audible beeper so it can still be used.

The IR camera at night is great looks like day time backing out in the dark.

It is possible to fish wire right up the center of the head liner to the front mirror right to the back.

I did this as I didn't want to run any wires anywhere near the air bags.

All-Star Edition.
123ablack

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 07:23:00 PM »

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Mr. BigBlueTraverse,

I have a Traverse 1LT with backup SENSORS but NO BACKUP CAM.

I just Purchased an OEM Navigation system (the new Rosen DSGM1010P11, Released this week) I hope to receive it by Friday.
I would love to install a backup Camera since I will have to run the GPS Antenna wiring anyway so I might as well pull along the wiring for the Backup cam.

You mentioned [Quote;] It is possible to fish wire right up the center of the head liner to the front mirror right to the back

So your explanation on how to fish the wiring through the head liner could help me a lot with both, the GPS antenna as well as the backup camera wiring.

Also, now that I have a screen (the Rosen Nav- supposed to be compatible with all back cams), which backup camera itself would you recommend?  is there any way I can get the entire hatch handle box replaced with one that already has a backup cam in that box?

Please advice  Help,

Thanks!   

BigBlackTraverse
Traverse Freak

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 07:34:33 PM »

Here is my backup camera installed. Sorry the back end is still little dirty. Can't wait till it warms up so I can do a proper wash.

All-Star Edition.
Quantum
Global Moderator
Traverse Freak

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 08:23:13 PM »

Nice installation.  What brand is the camera?  Do you have a link to it?

I already have the backup sensors, I'm more interested in the camera for hooking up the trailer.

Thanks

2010 Traverse 1LT
Built 3/10 in Lansing, MI

Ontario, Canada
BigBlackTraverse
Traverse Freak

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 02:08:12 PM »

This was just a cheapo on from ebay that I adapted to work. I had to lengthen most of the wiring as the Traverse is so large.

I love it. make parking 500% easier.

Also great in tight parking lots.

All-Star Edition.
rbarrios
Traverse GOD!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 02:43:18 PM »

thats interesting- the IR LED's.
Also-note to those without the factory camera.
On his- it lays flush- and points straight back..
On the factory units- the camera points down at an angle- enough so- that you can see the bumpers edge in the image.

so if you want it to be useful to backup and hook up a hitch- youll have to make it so that it points down at the hitch connection area-- and not straight back where all youd see is the item being towed-- and not the connectors you want to mate.

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    27,000
2010 Traverse 3.6L-    84,000
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-173,000
BigBlackTraverse
Traverse Freak

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 03:34:29 PM »

I did get the rings to angle the camera down and just didn't want to use them.

I prefer the flush mount.

I still have no real issues backing into the camper to hook it up.

Also, the bumper is only just out of sight. I can see the receiver when it's in.

All-Star Edition.
rbarrios
Traverse GOD!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 03:40:28 PM »

ok, cool.
wanted to make sure others who wanted the camera would be able to see the mating.

ESilva

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 08:38:35 PM »

How much was this system? Looks really cool, Id like to add this to mine. You said on ebay? do you have the seller?

2012 Traverse LS Metallic Blue - Base Model
BigBlackTraverse
Traverse Freak

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2012, 08:34:35 AM »

I spent around $120 for it .  That company has nothing on Ebay right now.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Wireless-3-5-Built-in-LCD-Rear-View-Mirror-Backup-Camera-Kit-4-Parking-Sensors-/120856996422?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c23a36a46

This is very compatible.  The only thing is they use an mirror overlay so you clip this mirror to your existing mirror.

The mirror in the traverse is so large I had to remove the clips and use 3m tape to hold it on.

All-Star Edition.
ESilva

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2012, 09:25:26 AM »

Was it a hassle to install the sensors? You installed a wired camera right? I saw that this one is wireless which would make it easier. I just hope the clarity would be good.

BigBlackTraverse
Traverse Freak

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2012, 01:22:36 PM »

it was fairly easy to install. There is a pass though where the tail light wiring comes in in where the jack of you tire fill can is located.

I brought the wires for the sensors through that and put the sending unit back there as well.

I of course had to run the wires from there to the mirror so the wireless will make it easier.

All-Star Edition.
rbarrios
Traverse GOD!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2012, 01:00:08 PM »

I had not even noticed it was an overlay... until you mentioned it and I went to look at the images a little closer.
then I thought-- what about the night dimming.
then I saw the manual dimmer- that is the little tab on the bottom.

Seems the LS versions do not come with electrical dimming mirrors.
The mirror I have has a small sensor that detects light from the headlights behind you- if theyre bright enough- it dims the mirror a bit.

ESilva

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2012, 09:15:08 PM »

I replaced the BCM with one from a Traverse with back up camera and had someone else reprogram my VIN to it not reprogram the BCM. I tried to have the original BCM reprogrammed but it did not unlock the back up camera. The part number for the BCM'S were different so that may be the reason one had back up camera and the other didn't.

I'm having a little trouble understanding this part right here. you had them reprogram your vin to the new bcm? or changed your vin to the one the new bcm had in it? Sorry for the confusion, just curious. maybe this will help with adding dic?

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories