TraverseForum.com
Bookmark and Share
October 24, 2014, 01:58:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Traverse Sales:  Mar: 8,230       YTD:26,368        All-Time: 233,642  (graph)

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
This topic has not yet been rated!
You have not rated this topic. Select a rating:
Author Topic: oil capacity spec vs dipstick  (Read 11620 times)
88bomber

View Profile
« on: July 29, 2010, 12:23:29 AM »

Just did my first oil+filter change on my Traverse...fun fun...love that filter location.

I added back a 5 quart jug plus part of another 5 quart jug until it showed just over 4.5 quarts remaining....so I put in 5.5 quarts.  That is including what I added to the new filter.  After a short drive, the dipstick shows the oil level above the top cross-hashes and a little on the cone part of the dipstick just before the wire shaft begins.

I drained the oil with the engine hot and gave it sufficient drain time.  And I'm measuring the oil level with engine warm, off, and after sitting for 15 min on level ground.

What does your dipstick say after adding 5.5 quarts?
AA/78U-Blue Gold
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 12:28:10 AM »

My dipstick reads at the top end of the cross hash area
copperbeech

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 08:11:38 AM »

I am very precise about measuring out exactly 5.2L (i.e. 5.5 quarts) when adding the oil at a change. And for me the dipstick reads *above* the full mark each time, say....1/4" inch above. I too try to drain it until only drops of oil are coming out. I have heard that on any sump drain approx 10% to 15% remains behind. I guess the only way to verify these numbers would be to measure the amount drained (which I have not done). In any event I for sure dont worry that it appears to be slightly overfilled.

Too make a long story short my experience agrees with yours i.e. overfilled with 5.2 qrts added.

1LT AWD Gold Mist; Build Date April 09

Greater Toronto Area
GXPWeasel
Traverse Freak

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 08:44:07 AM »

I guess the only way to verify these numbers would be to measure the amount drained (which I have not done).

This wouldn't help you much, as ALL engines that are working correctly, should use approx. 1/2 to 1 qt. of oil for each normal change. So there would be no exact way to see how much oil was remaing in the engine by simply measureing what came out.

Oh, and by the way, Hello.  I am new to the Traverse forum (because I just purchased my Traverse 2 days ago) but I have been around the car forum scene, and cars for over 10 years.  thumbs up

Greg.

2010 Red Jewel LT2 (Spring Edition)
copperbeech

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 09:30:53 AM »

ALL engines that are working correctly, should use approx. 1/2 to 1 qt. of oil for each normal change.

Congrats on the purchase of your Traverse  Cheers.

I don't have any doubt that engines consume oil but there is also no doubt that one would detect via the dipstick graduations if 0.5 quarts has been consumed (let alone 1 quart) . And many here have stated that they detect no fall in the level of the oil even after 5k miles (or more).

I would definitely not feel good if my car consumed 1 quart of oil in 3k to 5k miles.

1LT AWD Gold Mist; Build Date April 09

Greater Toronto Area
rbarrios
Traverse GOD!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 12:36:02 PM »

i measure what comes out most of the time.

I have found that my 2003 Trailblazer and my 2010 Traverse- use very very little oil... as I drain out most of what I put in...

My 07 impala- and my sisters 08 Lucerne--- now those-- I have to add oil- usually .75 quart

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    27,000
2010 Traverse 3.6L-    84,000
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-173,000
GXPWeasel
Traverse Freak

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 12:58:40 PM »

My 07 impala- and my sisters 08 Lucerne--- now those-- I have to add oil- usually .75 quart

Yep, that's what I'm talking about. My '07 Grand Prix GXP ( 5.3L V-8 ) used about 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart for each oil change. Did from the first day I owned it, to the last time I changed the oil. I always changed @ 3k miles too, with Mobil 1 full syn. My Silverado w/ the 5.3 doesn't use but maybe 1/2 quart for every 4k mile oil change, and it has 195,000 miles on it.

Greg.

2010 Red Jewel LT2 (Spring Edition)
splat10

09 Traverse

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 04:58:14 PM »

i'd never be able to measure what i get out becuase invariably i make a large puddle on the floor somehow.   Bang Head

I recycled less than 5 quarts on my recent oil change but like i said I spilled some  drunk
rbarrios
Traverse GOD!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 05:13:27 PM »

I have a nice cement floor...
I also like doing my own oil changes. (for time time being- I wont pay for an oil change).

But- at home depot they sell the plastic sheets for painters- I get a nice thick one.
I lay this down on the floor.... then I drive the vehicle over it.
I then lay down a piece of large cardboard between the wheels.. (like when you buy a flatscreen tv-- I save the large flat pieces).
this allows me to slide in easily (vs cement).
But any small drops of oil that splash- are absorbed by the cardboard...
if any large spill occurs-- I have the plastic to hold it in--- while I cleanup...

But- once done- I can fold up the plastic. I have it all setup so that changes are easy...

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    27,000
2010 Traverse 3.6L-    84,000
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-173,000
bigtallvandy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 06:13:27 PM »

I have a nice cement floor...
I also like doing my own oil changes. (for time time being- I wont pay for an oil change).

But- at home depot they sell the plastic sheets for painters- I get a nice thick one.
I lay this down on the floor.... then I drive the vehicle over it.
I then lay down a piece of large cardboard between the wheels.. (like when you buy a flatscreen tv-- I save the large flat pieces).
this allows me to slide in easily (vs cement).
But any small drops of oil that splash- are absorbed by the cardboard...
if any large spill occurs-- I have the plastic to hold it in--- while I cleanup...

But- once done- I can fold up the plastic. I have it all setup so that changes are easy...

Folks... don't ask me why I know the above are good ideas.   Lips Sealed Embarrassed
Pages: [1]   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories