2009 Traverse Air Conditioner not working - Chevy Traverse Forum: Chevrolet Traverse Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 12
2009 Traverse Air Conditioner not working

A few days ago we noticed sopme green liquid under our Traverse when we pulled it out of the garage. The coolant was about 2 pints low so i added some antifreeze. This week-end we went to our son's house about 150 miles away. Coming back home today I turned on the A/C and it was blowing warm air. I stopped at a tire shop since it was the only shop I could find open today (Sunday). After I explained the liquid under the car one of the guys said newer vehicles AC systems are sealed with a thick green liquid. I asked about just recharging the system but he said it may be damaged since the sealant had leaked out. I am planning on taking the car to the dealer we bought it from on Tuesday. It has 52,000 miles. Any ideas/suggestions are appreicated. Thanks
shooter is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator
 
quantum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,022
Re: 2009 Traverse Air Conditioner not working

As far as I know, GM uses Dex-cool antifreeze, which is red (or orange depending on how you perceive it). So a green puddle under your car puzzles me. Have you had your coolant changed out?

Usually Dex-cool is good for 5yrs or 250,000km (160,000 miles I think).

Second, I don't think that your AC would be damaged, because there are pressure switches that will not allow the AC to engage if the pressure is too low. So I highly doubt damage.

Green liquid in the AC? I don't think so, but maybe??

I think you just have a small leak somewhere and probably need a system recharge (after the leak is found) You can also buy one of those all in one kits from wal-mart that comes with a gauge. Its not the most accurate, but it may be the cheapest and quickest way to check if you AC is low on refrigerant or not.

2010 Traverse 1LT<br />Built 3/10 in Lansing, MI<br /><br />Ontario, Canada
quantum is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 12
Re: 2009 Traverse Air Conditioner not working

Quantum, thank you for the reply. I have used the recharge systems you can buy over the counter on some older vehilcles so i am familiar with that. When I was talking with the guy at the tire shop he just mentioned on the newer cars you had to take the charge completely down and then refill it. He also mentioned you had to be really careful on the new ones because the pressure range was tighter than on the older cars. Basicly I think he may have been trying to covere his butt cause he said I probably shouldhave a shop do it since they had the right tanks and sensors, etc. Have you recharged any of the newer vehicles? I believe the last one I did was a 2001 Silverado. With the antifreeze I did notice it was Dex-cool. Since it didn't need but about a quart I just added water. That should be okay right? Thanks again for your answer. If you have recharged a newer car, should I watch out for anythingin particular? Thanks, Shooter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum
As far as I know, GM uses Dex-cool antifreeze, which is red (or orange depending on how you perceive it). So a green puddle under your car puzzles me. Have you had your coolant changed out?

Usually Dex-cool is good for 5yrs or 250,000km (160,000 miles I think).

Second, I don't think that your AC would be damaged, because there are pressure switches that will not allow the AC to engage if the pressure is too low. So I highly doubt damage.

Green liquid in the AC? I don't think so, but maybe??

I think you just have a small leak somewhere and probably need a system recharge (after the leak is found) You can also buy one of those all in one kits from wal-mart that comes with a gauge. Its not the most accurate, but it may be the cheapest and quickest way to check if you AC is low on refrigerant or not.
shooter is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 08:50 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,779
Re: 2009 Traverse Air Conditioner not working

Have your condenser a your A/C pump checked. I almost thing the green may be the AC pump oil. If the AC pump is messed up you will have no cold air. Another common thing with the Traverse is putting rocks through the condenser.

2013 Traverse FWD LT1&nbsp; Black Granite<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; All-Star Edition.
bigbluetraverse is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator
 
quantum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,022
Re: 2009 Traverse Air Conditioner not working

Makes sense that your coolant was a pint or 2 low. I think most members on here have discovered that after a short time of drivng their Traverse, the coolant level drops. There must be air in the system still from the factory, and it works its way out over the miles.

I added about 1 qt to my Traverse and it has not moved since. That was about 6 months ago.

2010 Traverse 1LT<br />Built 3/10 in Lansing, MI<br /><br />Ontario, Canada
quantum is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 12
Re: 2009 Traverse Air Conditioner not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueTraverse
Have your condenser a your A/C pump checked. I almost thing the green may be the AC pump oil. If the AC pump is messed up you will have no cold air. Another common thing with the Traverse is putting rocks through the condenser.
Thank you, I will check the condensor out in the morning.
shooter is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 12
Re: 2009 Traverse Air Conditioner not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum
Makes sense that your coolant was a pint or 2 low. I think most members on here have discovered that after a short time of drivng their Traverse, the coolant level drops. There must be air in the system still from the factory, and it works its way out over the miles.

I added about 1 qt to my Traverse and it has not moved since. That was about 6 months ago.
I was wondering if I would have to keep adding to it or if this was (hopefully) a one time thing.
shooter is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 10:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 381
Re: 2009 Traverse Air Conditioner not working

Yes, green is the A/C...unfortunately, many problems are being reported with the A/C and it ranges to just about every part.

Under what part of the vehicle was the puddle of green liquid?
medicrxdoc is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 12
Re: 2009 Traverse Air Conditioner not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicrxdoc
Yes, green is the A/C...unfortunately, many problems are being reported with the A/C and it ranges to just about every part.

Under what part of the vehicle was the puddle of green liquid?
Thank you for your response. I can't tell exactly where it is leaking from, we have a 16' garage door and i don't pull into the exact same spot each time. I put it on a lift and the only spot I could see any liquid and not very much was under the oil filter. It did seem more like oil and not the liquid I saw on the garage floor. I change my own oil so it is probably from that. I did call Rick R. a local mechanic that we use and is pretty reliable. he said the newer cars do come out with the green/yellow thicker liquid in the AC system. he said they do that so they can tell where the leak is at (if it leaks). Of course he said you needed something like a black light to see it. From the spot on the floor I believe it was more on the passenger side. I put it on my lift and checked all around under the compressor but couldn't see or feel any spillage. I called Autozone and they have the recharge kits but I wanted wasn't sure if the newer vehicles are charged the same way or not. I don't know if you can do a pressure test on the lines by just putting air into it or not. I was thinking you had to take the air out of the lines to charge it. Any ideas?

Oh, I did call our dealer, who we have purchased a new GM from about every 2 years for the past 12 or so. I spoke with the service manager (who is new in the last year or so) and she told me I was pretty much SOL with 52,000 miles. We have the 3 yr/36,000. She then went into the $69 to diagnose but it would come off the total if i get it fixed there. Last repair (out of pocket) we had on another vehicle was going to charge us $2200 for the work but I had Rick do the same work and it was $1300. Oh well. Any ideas are appreciated.
shooter is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 09:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 381
Re: 2009 Traverse Air Conditioner not working

You know the system leaked because you saw the green. In the least after the repair, the system has to be evacuated of any contaminents because of the breech and I doubt you have that type of equipment at home.

I do much of the work on my cars myself, but I would take this problem to the mechanic. Sorry I can't help you, I don't know much about the A/C.

Since it isn't a warrantied repair, take it to the mechanic Rick that you trust.
medicrxdoc is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Traverse Forum: Chevrolet Traverse Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome